Viewing: 1-6 of 6
hgrapid

hgrapid - Feb 26, 2008 11:04 am - Hasn't voted

What's the story?

I have obviously heard of Hunter Thompson, but why is it named after him? I know he frequented Vegas, but did he stumble on to this rock on a mescaline binge, or something?

Dow Williams

Dow Williams - Feb 26, 2008 11:14 am - Hasn't voted

Re: What's the story?

no, just running out of ideas for names when putting up routes...always need a theme to tie them all in....Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was one of his best works and thus to name a Red Rocks crag after him, what the hell...also, kind of looks like that stupid hat he always wore, from the east..as one can imagine, I am a fan of Gonzo

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Feb 27, 2008 9:25 pm - Voted 10/10

name alone

The name alone deserves a vote... like "stuffed animals on prozac".

Hunter Thompson held a supposedly world-changing conference up in Elko, NV, back in the 70's.

Dow Williams

Dow Williams - Feb 28, 2008 12:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: name alone

one of my favorites...."America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable."

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Feb 28, 2008 7:38 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: name alone

Hunter in Elko

Dow Williams

Dow Williams - Feb 28, 2008 7:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: name alone

as whacked out as he was normally, Gonzo was normally on target politically, if not ahead of himself...“There is the possibility that maybe we’re all kidding ourselves about the intrinsic value of taking politics seriously in 1970s America. Unless we’re honestly convinced that the Practice of Politics is worth more than just a short-term high or the kind of short-term money that power-pimps pay for hired guns, my own feeling is that we’ll be a lot better off avoiding all the traditional liberal bull (expletive) and just saying it straight out: That we’re all just a bunch of fine-tuned Politics Junkies and we’re ready to turn Main Street into a graveyard in the name of anybody who’ll pay the price and even pretend to say the Right Things. My only real concern is to put something together that will force a genuine alteration of consciousness in the realm of national politics, and also in the heads of national politicians. Given the weird temper of all the people I’ve talked to in the past year, this is the only course that could possibly alter the drift of at least a third of the electorate away from politics entirely.”

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Hunter Thompson Dome, 5.8-5.12a' main page