Mountaineers Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.84780°N / 119.4047°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 4
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The approach is the same as for the SE Buttress Route.

Route Description

Once at the base of the SE Buttress, the Mountaineers Route is the sandy slope covered with weather-beaten trees to the right (north). Climb this class 2 slope to the top of Cathedral's north ridge, following any of several use trails (these are pretty sloppy and poorly defined). At the ridge, drop down about 30 feet and traverse over towards the west ridge, between the summit and Eichorn Pinnacle. This is a tricky section over some class 3 sloped slabs.

Follow some large cracks in the slabs for the easiest route. Don't traverse all the way to the west ridge, instead head diagonally up towards some mangled trees on the north side of the west ridge. Staying north of the ridge, climb up towards the base of the summit blocks on the west side. Traverse around the summit blocks to the right, onto the South Face of Cathedral. There is an easy 15-foot class 4 crack on the south side of the summit blocks that takes you to the summit, or just to the left is an alternate 10-foot crack of about equal difficulty that can also be used.

Essential Gear


No gear needed. If uncomfortable with class 4 or an airy perch on the small summit, bring a rope to belay on the summit blocks.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.