My Everest : Mount Kidd 2971 m ( 9747 ft. )

My Everest : Mount Kidd 2971 m ( 9747 ft. )

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking

The Reason:

Looking South Down Hwy 40
I moved to the mountains of Alberta about two years ago from a small tobacoo growing town called Delhi, in Southern Ontario. After landing at the Calgary International and then venturing outside to hale a cab, I was amazed that I could see the Rockies for the airport. After getting a cab and him oftering to drive me to get stuff I needed in the city for free ( the guy even bought me a coffe and Timmy's. ) he even gave me a deal on the cab fare just because he wanted to goto the mountains himself cause of their beauty. Only seeing picture of mountains, it blew my mind as we entered the Kananaskis Valley. One of the first mountains I saw was Mt. Kidd.
I knew that climbing mountains was something I wanted to try. I climbed Little Kidd, which is an off shoot of Mt. Kidd's northern aspect. It was amazing. Weeks passed and I would look up at Kidd and wish that I was on the top. I decided to try and climb it with some of my new friends from the Kananaskis Country Golf Coarse. With little to no experience it was a bad idea. We had to turn around because we got off track and out of our league. I was so upset. As the fall turned to winter my need to climb grew stronger. I bought books and read them over and over again to feed my "addiction" over the winter months. I decided to label Mt. Kidd as my Everest of the next climbing season. Half way through this climbing year ( 2007 ) I had climbed a hand full of peaks, but still no Kidd summit. Then one day at work I was talking to a new employee by the name of Jim, from Canmore, AB. He told me that he had climbed Kidd twice and would take me to the summit. I wet my pants! So on August 4th I summited. It blew my mind. It was my highest summit to date and the best views to boot. This is dedicated to my climb. I know that it is not that high of an elevation for this site, but it blew my mind. I'll be looking for my next "Everest" next year. Enjoy.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Alamkuh

Alamkuh - Dec 11, 2007 4:58 am - Voted 10/10

Good Summit.

Very nice Album and good Summit , Climb Mount Kidd is a hard??

The Scrambler

The Scrambler - Dec 11, 2007 7:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good Summit.

No its not technically hard. It was my Everest of the time and at the skill level I am at. Most would find it a moderate scramble. Thanks for the comment. See ya at the top!

BobSmith

BobSmith - Dec 11, 2007 8:31 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice!

It might technically be a small mountain, but we have nothing like it here in the East. It's a gorgeous place to me.

The Scrambler

The Scrambler - Dec 11, 2007 10:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice!

That is true, it is a beautiful place. You should climb the Rockies someday if you haven't already. I wanna do some peaks out east. There are some beauts out there too.

BMartens15

BMartens15 - Apr 7, 2018 7:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Time Line

How long did the climb take?

Viewing: 1-5 of 5


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.