My SP Favorites

My SP Favorites

Page Type Page Type: Album
It takes a lot to get my 10 vote. I think as the highest you can possibly vote a photo, the thing better be one of the top 50 photos on the site to get that vote. Otherwise, if everybody voted thousands of photos as "10's" there would be thousands of photos receiving the highest place and it would thus be useless to really find the best ones out of those really good ones.

Come on let's start a trend - vote inflation is causing a lot of amazing photos to get lost in the shuffle. There are TEN POSSIBLE VOTES - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10. Here's how I suggest you use them:

Brian's SummitPost.org Voting Guide

10. Absolutely stunning, magazine quality, pro photographer or should be
9. Excellent but not quite a full page mag spread...
8. Great photo
7. Good photo
6. Lacking pretty majorly somehow
5. Really not a good photo at all
4. Why did you upload this thing?
3. Were you smoking crack when you uploaded this thing?
2. I'm angry at you
1. I HATE you


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-11 of 11

2skinners - Jun 9, 2006 6:39 am - Voted 10/10

Sorry

Sorry to give another "10" out but this is a beautiful album. There are quite a few that get overlooked due to too many "10's" being given out, I agree.
-2skinners-

Holsti97

Holsti97 - Jun 9, 2006 1:02 pm - Hasn't voted

I Hate You?

I like your scale except for 1 and 2. There are photos that may deserve a 1 or 2 vote, but not because I am angry at them or hate them. I would suggest: 2-Photo is blurry or does not apply to page, (not another...this is my car in the parking lot!). 1-Poor photo, can't even tell what I'm looking at. Ones, twos, or threes can be viewed in the 10 Worst Rated Pictures Album. I certainly wouldn't say I hate the people that have photos in that album!

bbirtle

bbirtle - Jun 9, 2006 10:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I Hate You?

But you agree with #3?

3. Were you smoking crack when you uploaded this thing?

The point is that I don't vote anything 1, 2, or 3.

(Unless the picture is of a crack pipe.)

Holsti97

Holsti97 - Jun 10, 2006 3:26 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I Hate You?

I think it is important to use the entire 10 point scale. Therefore, I do vote 1...2...or 3 occasionally. I like your descriptions for each number, but would choose different words for 1, 2, and 3.

supermarmot

supermarmot - Oct 8, 2006 10:48 am - Voted 10/10

Re: I Hate You?

i thought 1 and 2 were funny...

Ejnar Fjerdingstad

Ejnar Fjerdingstad - Jun 29, 2006 10:55 am - Hasn't voted

Different tastes

The fact is, people disagree on the score. I have had the same photo rated from 7 to 10, with both being given by very competent persons. So let's not be too harsh on anybody. Better to give some helpful suggestions.

bbirtle

bbirtle - Jul 12, 2006 2:12 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Different tastes

Tough love is sometimes the best "advice". Anyway with drugs as rampent as they are today, statistically speaking, some people WERE probably smoking crack when they uploaded a few of their photos. Think of my 3 vote as a "Just Say No" campaign for better SP photos.

supermarmot

supermarmot - Oct 8, 2006 10:49 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Different tastes

nice.

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Aug 10, 2006 9:56 pm - Hasn't voted

I Disagree

I don't agree with an analysis that arbitrarily arrives at the conclusion that no more than 50 images on SP are suitable for the description "Absolutely stunning, magazine quality, pro photographer or should be". I also believe it's important to include the image caption as an element of the rating system. I do agree that the ratings are inflated, but things seem to sort themselves out in the end.--mark d.

bbirtle

bbirtle - Aug 12, 2006 12:21 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I Disagree

No there are more than 50, it's just that I've only found 50 so far. I've added 25 or so to this gallery in the last couple of months as I've stumbled upon hidden gems.

But I would say there's only around 200-400 of them. These are the ones I'd like to see float to the top of the stack when I browse Images!

Baarb

Baarb - Sep 3, 2008 2:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Definitely

agree with your view on this, a 10 vote seems often to be arbitrarily given to many photos, including my own. Personally I try to only give 10s if the photographer quite clearly put some effort into taking the photo, not just doing a point-and-click job on something that was already pretty. Anybody can do that. So if the composition was thought about, or the colours were made to come out really well, or they had to abseil into a crevice first then I'm going to up my vote.

As an update to my own comment, I've altered my opinion recently to also give 10s also to some shots that provide useful or interesting yet-to-be documented information about a mountain or route. As someone wisely said 'this isn't a photography site'.

Viewing: 1-11 of 11