Neue Welt

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.41670°N / 10.98330°E
Additional Information Route Type: Ski route
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: 40° + Abseiling
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The "Neue Welt" is an extreme ski route that leads you down from the Schneefernerkopf (a part of the Zugspitze Massif) to Ehrwald.

Take the Tyrolean Zugspitzbahn to the top of Zugspitze and get down to the Zugspitzplatt (funicular or ski, 40°).
Take the "Neue Welt" funicular from the Zugspitzplatt to the Schneefernerkopf.

Route Description


Wait at the Schneefernerkopf (2890m) until the snow conditions are optimal. (See "snow conditions")
Ski down the long slopes (up to 40°) to the SW. At about 2200m a canyon opens at the left of your route. DON'T follow the last slope to it's end, but look for the abseil bolts, which are often covered by snow!
Abseil down about 50m into the canyon (pitons after 25m for single ropes).

Follow the Canyon (30°) another 300m until you reach open meadows.
Ski down the meadows ("Holzerwiesen") until about 1550m and pass through the forest down to the "Ehrwalder Almbahn". There a several clearings in the forest that can guide you. Ideally there is enough snow down to Ehrwalder Almbahn. There is a shuttle bus back to the Tyrolean Zugspitzbahn.

Essential Gear


Rope 50m (2 ropes recommended). Crampons + ice axe not essential, but recommended.

Snow conditions


The Neue Welt is an extreme ski route, which is a great fun under ideal conditions:
- Avalanche danger grade I
- Enough snow to ski down through the forest to the Ehrwalder Almbahn.
- A cold night followed by a sunny day to soften the surface of the snow. Usually the parties start at 10 - 11 a.m.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

ZugspitzeRoutes