Normal-La Fruitiere

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.83400°N / 0.0676°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble+rocky ridge
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Additional Information Difficulty: F sup (Easy sup)
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See the main page

Route Description

Slope: 1620m.
Time: 4h30 to summit (8h in total)

We begin in La Fruitiere (1371m) and we follow the track to the nice valley of Lutour near of the river, the waterfalls, the green grass and the trees under the walls of the mountains (really a precious place). After the waterfalls of Pouey-Caut (and the little hut of wood of same name) the path it's divided in two with a signal: refuge Russell (left) and refuge d'Estom (right). We turn to the left side and across a hard slope with the path in zig-zag we reach across the forest the refuge Rusell (1h30min, 1980m).
Some people sleep in the refuge and climb the next day but it's no really needed generally for the mountaineers. In the refuge you can take water in the fountain.
After the refuge the path go across the forest and finally we appear in a great plain of grass and rocks (at last we see the Pic d'Ardiden and the ridge). The route go to the left side (west) to the ridge (we follow the cairns) and we reach the spectacular Breche des Agudes (2566m), the point of entry to the ridge SW. The narrow path go to the right side across the ridge with some steps of grade I and II, not really exposed. It's long and laborious but not difficult. After the ridge we arrive to the final cone with a lot of great blocks of rock. After the last effort with the use of the hands climbing the blocks we reach the little summit (2988m, 4h30min)

Essential Gear

Ice-axe and crampons out of season. The ridge it's spectacular but don't need a rope only a little of experience.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

ArdidenRoutes