Normal Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.67200°N / 12.69500°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The trail starts directly in Maria Luggau. See the "Getting There" Section of the main page.

Route Description


Eggenkofel photo_id=114243

  • General data
      - Start altitude: 1173mm
      - Summit altitude: 2424m
      - Prevailing exposition: N
      - Type: 1h 30 min over forest roads, 2h 30min over paths
      - Protection: marked
  • Effort: 1250m of altitude gain, 7km distance to the summit.
  • Power: 1 - no difficulties
  • Psyche: 1 - easy
  • Orientation: 1 - easy

    From the centre of Maria Luggau start out south towards the Gail River Gorge. You'll cross the river after 700m and start ascending towards the hamlet Raut. Cross the hamlet and at the southeastern end a small trail starts climbing steeply through a dense forest. It meets a forrest road after 1km, which it follows to Gossenwiesen. The trail is marked No. 455 and 30.

    At Gossenwiesen you cross aclearing with 6 hay cabins, only to head southwards along a narrow path, which leads over blueberry meadows to Rauter Alm. There the timberline is reached and again some hay cabins can serve as shelter. The trail gets panoramic with good views towards Zwölferspitzand Torkarspitz before it reaches the base of the Schulterhöhe summit block. Here some scrambling will lead you over the northeaster ridge (east ridge on the final approach) to the summit.

    Schulterhöhe photo_id=114242Schulterhöhe photo_id=114240Schulterhöhe photo_id=114244

    Essential Gear


    Hiking gear is sufficient.
  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.