North Crest Trail No. 130N (from south)

North Crest Trail No. 130N (from south)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.23530°N / 106.4554°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Drive east on I-40 from Albuquerque and take the Tijeras exit. Go north on NM-14 for about 6 miles and turn left onto the Sandia Scenic Byway to the top of the mountain and park at the main parking lot. Make sure to bring $3 to pay for parking. The trail is marked by a large green sign at the northern end, east of the large antennas.

Route Description


From the green Forest Service sign go north along the fence surrounding the antennas. Not long after the fence ends, the Sandia Wilderness begins. 200 yards after a sign saying Del Agua Overlook 1.5 miles, a offshoot trail leads to the edge and gives stunning views of the Needle, Shield, and North Sandia Peak. After the viewpoint, the trail dips down below the ridgeline on the eastside for some time. When it comes back towards the ridge another faint trail leads off on the westside of the Crest Trail. This is the unmarked trail to the summit of North Sandia Peak. An aspen grove a short distance on the trail verifies that it's the right one. It fades in and out, but as long as you keep hiking just below the ridgeline the trail should re-establish itself and lead to the summit. The summit is marked by three cement blocks that used to be the base for a signalling beacon.

Essential Gear


Basic gear for a short hike should be adequate on this route.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.