North Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.39400°N / 118.79°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 4
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Start from the Mosquito Flat Trailhead, and take the right fork about 1/2 mile up the trail, towards Mono Pass. Cross the pass, and descend into the Fourth Recess, and follow the drainage past the Snow Lakes. The North Face will be in plain view, continue toward the base of the peak, keeping the moraine on your right as long as possible. Gain the glacier.

Route Description


Cross the glacier and choose the steep couloir in the middle of the face. Ascend this until it is possible to get on the arete/ridge on the right, and climb this ridge until there is an easy exit right onto lower angled rock that leads to the summit plateau. The route finding on the ridge is fairly straightforward. If the climbing is harder than 4th class, look around, there's probably an easier way. Once you gain the summit plateau, cross it and sign in. For a quicker descent, take the East Couloir route, it will shave about 2 miles off of the walk to the car.

Essential Gear


Unless the snow is quite soft you will need crampons and axe. The rock part of the route is best climbed in sticky rubber shod approach shoes, as some of the climbing is tenuous and steep.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.