North Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.49774°N / 118.85954°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy Class 3 in spots
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

From McGee pass, take the obvious north ridge line up the mountain.If you come from Big McGee or Little McGee Lake, the mountain on your left once you are at the top of McGee pass is Peak 12,418.To the right is Red Slate mountain. So head up the left, follow this ridge line up to the summit. There is some exposure if one stays on the ridge crest, to the climbers left is a drop off of over 1000 vertical feet, and to the right is a rocky red slate scree field that wouldn't be good to fall down either. Scramble up and take the ridgeline until you gain the summit. Descend the same way.

Getting There

California US 395- Near Lake Crowley, Take the McGee Creek Trail up to McGee Pass, which is 7 miles from the trailhead.

Route Description

Class 1 to McGee Pass. The snowfield before the pass may require crampons depending on temps and conditions.From the pass, it is a basic Class 2 scramble up semi-loose red slate, and Class 3 when gaining the ridge higher up. Continue on easy terrain to the summit.

Essential Gear

Summer ascents require nothing more that the basics, but I would recommend maybe some 4 point instep crampons for the snowfield.

Winter climbing is just that. Axe and crampons will be needed to gain the pass and climb the ridge.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.