Northeast Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.03900°N / 119.278°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


This route is best accessed from the Virginia Lakes Trailhead, and the detailed directions to this trailhead are discussed in the Black Mountain "Getting there" section.

Route Description


This is a straightforward but aesthetic route. From the parking area at the trailhead, take the trail that starts at the pit toilet and proceed westbound toward Blue Lake. Here's the key to accessing the route: about 1/3 of a mile along the trail, watch for a small lake on your left. Watch for the end of this lake, and the start of Blue Lake, which is much larger. In between the two there is a creek crossing on some manmade debris which lands you on a peninsula. This peninsula leads right to the toe of the Northeast Ridge. From there, just stay on the crest of the ridge for the best views. Near the top there is some contrived 3rd class scrambling to be had, but it is possible to go class two all the way to the summit.

Essential Gear


You will need nothing more than comfy walking shoes and a little bit of water. The views are quite good.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.