Northwest Couloir

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.71900°N / 110.818°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 4
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow directions for approach up Garnet Canyon to The Meadows. At The Meadows turn left (south) and follow this fork to the saddle between South Teton and Middle Teton. Don't be tempted to begin your contour toward South Teton early. Continue ALL the way to the saddle until Icefloe lake is visible to the west.

Route Description


This is the most popular route on South Teton. From the saddle between South Teton and Middle Teton turn left (south) and begin ascending moderate talus. It is not necessary to stay directly on the ridge crest itself. It is best to contour across the talus aiming for the right (west) side of a permanent snowfield that rests on the north slopes. Cross the snowfield and take caution. The snowfield is steep. Crossing without iceaxe and/or crampons is a calculated risk. Some years previous traffic wears a trenchlike path across this snowfield. Either way, be prepared and take caution.

Once across the snowfield brings you to the base of a short coulair. It is mostly Class 3, but Class 4 climbing is required in parts. Climb the couloir to the summit ridge about 100 feet west of the true summit. A short scramble leads to the true summit.

Essential Gear


Ice axe and crampons along with knowledge of how to use them is advised for most parties.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.