NW Ridge from Pass Lake

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.69900°N / 110.902°W
Additional Information Route Type: scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3 scramble
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

The hike starts at the Pass Lake Trailhead, which is located off Highway 150 32 miles north, and east of Kamas or 46 miles south of Evanston. There is a sign that marks the trailhead.

Black = Bald Mountain Trail...Yellow to Saddle + Blue = Northwest Ridge from Pass Lake.





Route Description

This is an atrernate route to the crowded Bald Mountain Trail. You can also climb the more rugged Reids Peak from this route for a great two peak slam. From the Pass Lake Trailhead, head cross-country to the southwest until you reach the base of the pass between Bald Mountain and Reids Peak. Once at the base of the pass, scramble up to the pass via the easiest route. There is some loose rock on this route. If the slope is covered with snow, an ice axe will be needed for a safe ascent. After taking a well deserved rest at the pass, scramble up the spectacular ridge south to the summit. Any experienced scrambler should be able to handle it. Enjoy the views of the countless lakes, basins, and peaks from the summit.

Bald Mountain (left), Uintas....Bald Mountain (left). Route goes up the right hand ridge.









Essential Gear

A good pair of boots in needed. An ice axe may be needed before early July.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.