NW-Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.29450°N / 9.61040°E
Additional Information Route Type: Rock climb with glacier approach
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: V+
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Start on foot from the Rifugio Sciora in the SW direction. Continue due S after a while to the base of the NW-ridge. You will have to cross a glacier for a small distance.

Route Description


Enter the main ridge by a ramp on 2300m. Follow the ridge to the top of the 'vorbau' or the 'Bügeleisen'. The route is mainly slabclimbing. The crux is a very steep slab (V+). From here it is possible to rappel to the base of the climb where you can pick up your glacier equipment and return to the hut. This is what most people do and is considered a 'plaisir' climb.
It is also possible to finish the ridge by summiting the Pizzi Gemelli itself. This makes the tour a real alpine outing. The last part consists of much loose rock and involves taking your ice equipment with you for the descent.




Essential Gear


Approach: Standard glacier equipment (ice axe, crampons)
Climb: Standard rock climbig rack supplemented with webbing/schlings, nuts and cams.
Route to the top: Both rock and ice equipment.


Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.