October Hike up Strawberry Mountain

October Hike up Strawberry Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Oct 13, 2006
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall

Strawberry Mtn. in October

It was probably the last chance weekend to climb Strawberry Mountain, this Friday the 13th in October. The trail was already icy on the lower sections, around Strawberry Lake and Strawberry Falls, but the sun warmed the upper ridges and they were dry. It is really a nice hike up to Strawberry Falls, and around the front ridge where the peak comes into view. We saw a flock of black crows flying around the summit and in the dead pine trees in the fire burn area near timberline, that added to the spooky Halloween feel of the whole scene.

This is really a beautiful trip all around, including the drive over from Eugene the night before. Leaving just after lunch, and driving through Sisters and Prineville, we still arrived just after sunset, and had to find the campground in the dark. (about 5.5 hours!) But the drive over, with the sunset on the hills and peaks in the painted desert country was fabulous.

The hike up to the summit was fairly easy. A bit slippery at points. But it only took about 3.5 hours up, walking at a leasurly pace and taking many pictures, and about 2.5 hours to get back to the car. Really a fun hike, despite the long drive. One suggestion. It was cold overnight in the campground, so plan for a chilly (20's) evening, prior to the climb. So be prepared and dress accordingly for this time of year.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.