Osiris, Fall Bay, The Gower

Osiris, Fall Bay, The Gower

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Rock Climbing

Osiris

Osiris is a 36 metre VC 4c, that deserves every one of its 3 stars.
It was first climbed by Pardoe and Griffiths in February 1967.

It's on the non tidal Lewes Castle buttress at Fall Bay in the beautiful Gower coastline of South Wales. A ledge below this route sits above "King Wall" a tidal section of the area that contains some great lower grade routes.

It's only a ten minute walk from the car park and there is a pub there as well!
OsirisStarting the route

OsirisNearing the roof

OsirisThere is an old peg here, but you don't need it, there is good gear to be found easily. I doubt that was the case in 1967 when the route was first ascended, pre cams and all...

Osiris After the traverse, about to pull through the weakness in the roof

Route description

Start at a prominent leftward slanting groove under the roof. Follow this to a stance under the roof at it's widest point, by an old peg. Traverse right under the roof on good handholds but with only smears for the feet. Get yourself under the weakest point of the overhang, catch your breath and pull through on holds that are positive once you've found them! Finish up the easier headwall above. Belay a few metres back on short steps of rock.
OsirisOsiris traverses right under the roof

Should you choose to move up rather than right at the widest part of the roof, you would be on a route caled Lazy Sunday Afternoon, an E2 5C
OsirisChris Wyatt about to surmount the roof

There are 22 routes recorded just on this buttress, with another 21 on the next buttress and yet another 37 on the lower tidal tier. A really great place to climb that holds special memories for me as it was the first place I ever climbed.

Osiris the God

Osiris was the Egyptian god of the dead, and ruler of the underworld. He was also the god of resurrection and fertility. The ancient Egyptians believed that Osiris gave them the gift of barley, one of their most important crops. Many of the routes on Lewes Castle are named after Egyptian Gods, whilst those on King Wall are generally named after Norse mythological characters.



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.