Packing My Haul Bag in Yosemite, early 1970s

Packing My Haul Bag in Yosemite, early 1970s

Camp 4, Yosemite Valley, early 1970s. At that time there were no camp sites, or a real parking lot. Camp 4 was, and still is, known as the campground for rock climbers. We all felt that the park service wanted to keep us out of sight. I guess they didn't want a whole bunch of long hair, dusty and unshaven, climbers to be seen by the clean-cut tourists; it would have been bad for business.
Marcsoltan
on Jan 18, 2010 11:29 am
Image Type(s): Rock Climbing
Image ID: 590267

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-20 of 30
12
Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Jan 18, 2010 1:47 pm - Voted 10/10

nice car..

amazing that you fit all your gear in...

It does remind me my backpacking trip to Denali. I picked up 3 climbers on the way back and they loaded all their gear into a 2 door little rental car. They packed stuff between the driver and passenger, everywhere... I should pull those photos and put them on SP. And they smelled bad - something like 3 weeks of no shower and no underwear and socks change.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Jan 18, 2010 2:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: nice car..

Well, this was a summer climb, so we didn't have sleeping bags, or pads. So, the haul bag was basically for water, food, clothing, first aid kit, extra gear and other personal gear such as approach shoes and a few other items. One person carries the haul bag/now known as the pig, and other person carries the ropes, hardware/gear, and the small pack.
This is my college days car.
Sorry about the climbers' smelly feet and bodies. Climbing in Yosemite wasn't so bad. We used to go for a dip in Merced River after a day of climbing.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Jan 18, 2010 3:20 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: nice car..

Reminds me of the 1963 movie, "Herbie the Lovebug."

NEVER under-estimate the ability of the human
mind to devise a WAY to get from Point A to
Point B in style.

Here in America, BIGGER is not always better.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Jan 18, 2010 3:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: nice car..

This was the fanciest car I had owned at the time. You should have seen the junks I drove before this one. But, as you said, "Bigger is not always better."
Thanks for putting a positive spin on my old Bug, Larry.
BTW, I think I sold it for 50 bucks when I was moving onto another car.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Jan 18, 2010 6:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: nice car..

OOops, you were commenting about the car, and I thought you were talking about the haul bag. Anyway, the car was pretty small. In those days, most people drove small cars, not like today's SUVs.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Jan 18, 2010 8:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: nice car..

Yep, those were the days!

Actually, reality TV, climate change and
behemoth SUVs will be the end of the world as
we know it.

Thanks for the sweet memories, Marc !!! !

RayMondo

RayMondo - Jan 19, 2010 11:45 am - Hasn't voted

Indeed it could be the No 53

Nice oldtimer - the car I mean!

We stay as young as the way we think - just as long as we remain able to!

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Jan 19, 2010 12:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Indeed it could be the No 53

Hahaha... I'm not sure about the # 53, but it was at least 10 or 15 years old when I bought it. Great little car.

ArankaP

ArankaP - Jan 19, 2010 6:29 am - Voted 10/10

so you already

had such a fun then

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Jan 19, 2010 9:19 am - Hasn't voted

Re: so you already

Hi Aranka,
Yes, I have been having fun around the mountains for a long time. I hope to be able to keep going back for the rest of my life.
Thanks for the visit,

ArankaP

ArankaP - Jan 28, 2010 9:26 am - Voted 10/10

Re: so you already

Hi Marc, do you mind if I take few of your photos to my Natural frame album? tnx

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Jan 28, 2010 9:33 am - Hasn't voted

Hi Aranka,

No problem. Let me know when the album is done. I'd like to see it.

Noondueler

Noondueler - Jan 20, 2010 12:00 am - Voted 10/10

Cool to know you were in on the ground floor of "all that darn climbing!"

You must have met Harding, Robbins, Pratt and Rowell among others.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Jan 20, 2010 1:08 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Cool to know you were in on the ground floor of

Hi Windsor, believe or not, I had started climbing nearly ten years before this photo indicates. Yes, I did meet some of these legendary figures, but didn't climb with any of the ones on your list. I just wasn't good enough, old enough and dedicated enough. I kind of belong to the next generation era, John Long, Jim Bridwell period. Although I had climbed with John Long, their entire group was way way too good to hang out with. I was a student and didn't want the rest of my life to go into climbing alone.

Noondueler

Noondueler - Jan 20, 2010 11:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Cool to know you were in on the ground floor of

So I guess you've done all the big walls in the valley. If so that must be a interesting experience. Way out of my league!

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Jan 21, 2010 12:02 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Cool to know you were in on the ground floor of

I have done a few walls, a far cry from all of them.

imontop

imontop - Jan 22, 2010 12:20 am - Voted 10/10

Sweet car man!

Great pic Marc!

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Jan 22, 2010 12:51 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Sweet car man!

Thanks, Eric. You see the kind of junk I used to drive forty years ago.

StarMan

StarMan - Jan 26, 2010 6:04 pm - Voted 10/10

I like this pic!

Reminds me of our old family '66 Beetle... I was the 5th child to "inherit" it as my college ride. After 2 motors, 1 paint job, around 300,000 miles (toward the end the odometer stopped working, as did the speedometer, the gas gauge, the heat/defroster, the radio, among other things :-), my father finally sold it when I moved on to start my career. Well anyway, when I wasn't walking (i.e., the car was actually able to move on it's own power), it was really a GREAT car for driving in snow and the occasional off-road adventure.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Jan 26, 2010 7:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I like this pic!

What a great story. I bought this car because my old climbing buddy was a VW mechanic and he could keep the thing running. I took this little car all over the place on trips over 1000 miles long. You can't pay me enough to go more than two miles out of town in a car like this now.
Thanks for the visit and the story, David,
Marc

Viewing: 1-20 of 30
12