Padre Bay Excursion?

Padre Bay Excursion?

Lake Powell Update: Runoff going into Lake Powell is 180 percent of normal. Rising water is creating a landscape that looks dramatically different than what it did last year. Currently, the lake is rising 12 inches (vertical rise) per day. Right in the middle of Padre Bay , there's a long skinny peninsula that sticks out to a rock called Padre Butte. When the water rises, it becomes an island and the peninsula is covered (completely). (The Arizona Republic - May 18, 2008) History of the area: The last great Spanish exploration in the Colorado basin took place in 1776, when two Franciscan fathers, Escalante and Dominguez, tried to find a practical route between Santa Fe, NM, and Monterey, CA. They traveled far to the northwest, reaching "Timpanogotzis" (Utah Valley), and then, their purpose unachieved, returned to the south. They intended to cross the Colorado in that direction and visit the Havasupai, but Paiute Indians told them that the country ahead held little water, and they would not "be able to cross the river in this direction because it ran through a tremendous gorge and was very deep." Thus they were warned of the barrier which is the Grand Canyon. They turned to the east, seeing upper Marble Canyon as they searched for a ford of the river. This they found on Nov. 7 at "El Vado de los Padres" (The Crossing of the Fathers) in Glen Canyon. Geographical location: Even though the Cookie Jar Butte (tower) is located in Kane County, Utah, the only access I know of is by boat. Wahweap Marina is 12.2 miles to the southwest, on the western side of Lake Powell. This photo was taken by photographer Gary Ladd several years ago. This is looking north across beautiful Padre Bay at Cookie Jar Butte. Do you see the houseboat parked at the extreme left-center of the picture? Well, that's where I'd like to be parked right now!!
lcarreau
on May 19, 2008 7:00 pm
Image Type(s): Rock Climbing,  Bouldering,  Hiking,  Informational,  Scenery,  Water
Image ID: 405030

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
RayMondo

RayMondo - Sep 20, 2009 6:15 am - Voted 10/10

Absolutely Fab

Such a picture draws me right through the screen. The simple though varied colouration makes it. And that blue water, the lines, the proportions, the impact of the tower, then balanced by those superb clouds in an azure sky.

I can see myself running up and along the foreground like some Indian Brave.

Fab.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Sep 20, 2009 5:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Absolutely Fab

You and me both !!!

The water's just right for swimming! : ))

Viewing: 1-2 of 2