Paget Peak Ski

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 51.46110°N / 116.3639°W
Additional Information Route Type: Skiing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Moderate
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

This is a 3300’+/- ascent day. I parked at the West Louise Lodge across from Wapta Lake. The other trail that heads into Sherbrooke Lake was closed. There are two options to ski Paget Peak, the easier, longer one and the direct approach. I chose the direct route. I skinned in on the Sherbrooke Lake Trail with alpine skis and took a right hand turn at a posted sign for the Paget Fire Lookout, about 1.4kms in. I found out on return that people do continue on in further and ski laid back switchbacks to the lookout.
Dow Williams Dow Williams Dow Williams Dow Williams

Route Description

Doing the direct approach, I ended up throwing my skis on my back and climbing through several rock bands and deep snow to get to the lookout. I hit a clearing where I could see the lookout and just started climbing through a rock band above me to the left. There was no trail to follow due to the snow therefore I ended up climbing through a rock band that has nothing to do with the trail during the summer. Once up to the lookout, which is a historic little structure that appears to be left open in case of need, proceed straight up (due north) and over the obvious bump (false summit) and on to the real summit. There is nothing remarkable about the rest of this ascent. Stay climbers right.

There is a fantastic snow field on your left at the higher flanks of the mountain that is probably severely windblown the majority of the winter. However, the day I skied it was soft and good for some fresh turns. The danger on this route are the cliffs to skiers right. Stay as far left as you can until eventually you will traverse back left to the fire lookout. The ski out was much more pleasant then my ascent, heading towards Sherbrooke Lake to hook back into Sherbrooke Lake Trail.

I made this a long day: piddling with my equipment, snacking and bathing in the sun. Skiing any slope like this has its many hazards, particularly solo. Be safe!

Essential Gear

Skis, skins, poles, gaiters, goggles, compass, map, etc.





Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.