Philmont Camping Headquarters

Philmont Camping Headquarters

Page Type Page Type: Logistical Center
Location Lat/Lon: 36.45443°N / 104.95857°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

As far as backpacking and Boy Scouts goes this is the one place to visit when you are a high school kid, the place to work when you get to college and the place to return to when you have kids. Philmont Scout Ranch is approximately 137,495 acres or 214 square miles. There are I believe six peaks over 10,000' including one that is 12,441'. Annually, from early June to the middle of August there are thousands of scouts and scouters that come for their first experience in the backcountry. There are also other programs throughout the entire year that may appeal to scout and venture troops from all over the world.

Getting There

Get to Cimarron, NM which is on most maps between Taos and Interstate 25 on route 64. Follow the signs and go south on highway 21 which is on the west end of town. After making the turn you only have about 4.5 miles left. As you get closer there are more signs and you are looking for Camping Headquarters. The parking lot is on your right. Not the first parking lot and not the driveway with the famous arch to throw old boots over but the one after that, there will inevitably has a large number of 15 passenger vans and scout trailers. From there proceed to the Welcome Center which is the closest building to you with a covered pavilion and during the summer months maintains a 24 hour staff. The door is on the north side.

Red Tape

This is a wilderness for registered Boy Scouts and Venture Crews ONLY. There is a registration process and a waiting list to get in so you can NOT just show up unless you only want to visit Basecamp. If you just plan on visiting you are also on your own for meals and lodging. Philmont is quite active about maintaining their private property so please respect that and go through the process of necessary documentation and you will find that they are the best camp staff.

Camping/Food/Fuel/Cookware/Misc.

The Philmont Guidebook to Adventure details everything you need to bring and all of the things that can be rented from the Services department or bought from Tooth of Time Traders ( www.toothoftimetraders.org/ ). You will also be provided with a Ranger if you come during the summer and another various staff member if you come during the rest of the year and they will help you before you set off on the trail to make sure you have the appropiate gear. Rest assured as well that during the summer months there 24 hour Heath Lodge personel manning a radio as well as Logistics staff who are there to keep you safe as well as numerous well trained staff members and Wilderness First Responders.

External Links

www.philmont.com/

www.scouting.org/philmont/

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Philmont Scout RanchLogistical Centers