Cordon del Plata Conditions

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
sdespins

Cordon del Plata Conditions

by sdespins » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:58 pm

Extreme conditions. Very cold with super strong winds. Spent the last 7 days in the range starting at San Bernardo refuge and camping at Las Vegas and Alto Salto (area above El Salto camping area). No summits of Plata or Rincon these days. We were able to make Vallecitos in extreme conditions. Several tents at El Salto were torn to shreds. Our Doite side tent did not survive, nor did our North Face Expedition which experienced two broken poles and the cover torn to shreds. Spent the night holidng onto what was left and had to descend the next day. My friend was picked up and thrown by the wind.

Lower peaks are attainable such as Enanos Blancos and San Bernardo. Although still windy, they are enjoyable.

Corax

Re: Cordon del Plata Conditions

by Corax » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:03 am

I had a similar experience. Camped some 100 odd meters below Susan.
<a href=http://www.summitpost.org/mountains/trip_report.pl?trip_report_id=2755&mountain_id=4834>Here's my story about that stormy night.</a>
It's dangerous to be right when the government is wrong. Voltaire

Return to South America