-20 Bag Recommendations?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Princess Buttercup

Re: -20 Bag Recommendations?

by Princess Buttercup » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:01 pm

Thanks, everyone! twoshuzz, that's the sort of discussion I was searching for and couldn't find. Thanks! I completely agree on cut, which is a touch one for me. Again, with my height, I have to go with the men's lengths, which are often cut more narrowly through the hips (bad for me, as that's one asset with which I've been blessed), so the warmth pockets seem a little wiggy. I've been thrilled with my Montbell 15deg superstretch, but it is a little short for full winter conditions (their long is only 6'2" or so) where I want to stow fuel and boots/gaiters in my bag.

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:27 pm

MooseTracks wrote:Thanks, everyone! twoshuzz, that's the sort of discussion I was searching for and couldn't find. Thanks! I completely agree on cut, which is a touch one for me. Again, with my height, I have to go with the men's lengths, which are often cut more narrowly through the hips (bad for me, as that's one asset with which I've been blessed), so the warmth pockets seem a little wiggy. I've been thrilled with my Montbell 15deg superstretch, but it is a little short for full winter conditions (their long is only 6'2" or so) where I want to stow fuel and boots/gaiters in my bag.

So if the Montbell SuperSpiral works for you, why not just go with the EXP version in Long cut? Specs indicate its 6'6" max user height, should be plenty long enough.

BigMitch

by BigMitch » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:31 am

I have a Montbell Expedition Down Hugger (-20F) Long (I am 180 lbs and 6'2"). If I store stuff in it I feel it, because it was designed to be very light (about 3 lbs, 8 ozs ??), and therefore, "hug" one's body.

Kai

by Kai » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:43 pm

attimount wrote:I had Valandre Shoking Blue on Aconcagua and it was fine. It is rated for -23' F, and you can buy it in USA.
On Denali I changed to Odin and have no problems at all with cold.
They are a little expensive but its worth the money.

I have a Shocking Blue.

I think that Valandre's ratings are a bit out of whack. It has the same loft as my 0 degree rated Marmot Lithium. My experience has been that the Shocking Blue is comparable in warmth to my Lithium. I think that Valandre touts the "survival" rating for their bags, while most other sleeping bag makers use the "comfort" rating. I don't think I would consider the Shocking Blue a -23F bag.

Edit: I looked up the stats for both bags. Marmot's Lithium is sold as a 0 degree bag. It has an "extreme" rating of -30. Valandre sells their bag as a -23 degree bag. It has an "extreme" rating of -23. So, it really is apples and oranges when you are comparing Valandre's claimed temp ratings.

dskoon

by dskoon » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:18 pm

Kai wrote:
attimount wrote:I had Valandre Shoking Blue on Aconcagua and it was fine. It is rated for -23' F, and you can buy it in USA.
On Denali I changed to Odin and have no problems at all with cold.
They are a little expensive but its worth the money.

I have a Shocking Blue.

I think that Valandre's ratings are a bit out of whack. It has the same loft as my 0 degree rated Marmot Lithium. My experience has been that the Shocking Blue is comparable in warmth to my Lithium. I think that Valandre touts the "survival" rating for their bags, while most other sleeping bag makers use the "comfort" rating. I don't think I would consider the Shocking Blue a -23F bag.

Edit: I looked up the stats for both bags. Marmot's Lithium is sold as a 0 degree bag. It has an "extreme" rating of -30. Valandre sells their bag as a -23 degree bag. It has an "extreme" rating of -23. So, it really is apples and oranges when you are comparing Valandre's claimed temp ratings.

So, telll me, how warm is that Marmot Lithium? Reason I ask, is I've coveted one for awhile now. . .

no avatar
bearbreeder

by bearbreeder » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:52 am

the shocking blue is en-tested to ll comfort, ie men comfort rating, to 10F ... it would not be considered a -23F bag by most people without additional clothing

the test reports are on valandre web site ...

http://www.valandre.com/product_images/ ... lueIFT.pdf

IMO they are using the old marketing tactic of rating more for an extreme rating, rather than comfort ratings like marmot, MH, NF, WM, etc ...

Kai

by Kai » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:57 pm

dskoon wrote:
So, telll me, how warm is that Marmot Lithium? Reason I ask, is I've coveted one for awhile now. . .

Mine is extremely warm. I have used it (with clothing) quite often in temps down to 20 below. The thing I like about it is that it is cut quite roomy on the inside, so you can wear clothing (like your puffy down jacket) to bed. Weight of my Lithium is 2 pounds, 9.9 ounces.

I have a couple of bags rated to -20 or less, but I don't use them any more. My Lithium is now my go-to winter bag for even the coldest conditions. When it's cold, I always have a puffy jacket with me anyway, and combining my puffy with the Lithium really allows me to push the temp rating.

One caveat, however. My Lithium (as well as my other 2 Marmot bags in the same series) is a little different than the bags available today. I bought it the first year it was available. At the time, it was a special run bag filled with 900+ down. It only has a 1/2 zipper. Current Lithiums have slightly less lofty down and a full zip. (I still think they're probably good bags, and there is now the option of a very water resistant shell.)

dskoon

by dskoon » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:12 pm

Kai wrote:
dskoon wrote:

Mine is extremely warm. I have used it (with clothing) quite often in temps down to 20 below. The thing I like about it is that it is cut quite roomy on the inside, so you can wear clothing (like your puffy down jacket) to bed. Weight of my Lithium is 2 pounds, 9.9 ounces.

I have a couple of bags rated to -20 or less, but I don't use them any more. My Lithium is now my go-to winter bag for even the coldest conditions. When it's cold, I always have a puffy jacket with me anyway, and combining my puffy with the Lithium really allows me to push the temp rating.

One caveat, however. My Lithium (as well as my other 2 Marmot bags in the same series) is a little different than the bags available today. I bought it the first year it was available. At the time, it was a special run bag filled with 900+ down. It only has a 1/2 zipper. Current Lithiums have slightly less lofty down and a full zip. (I still think they're probably good bags, and there is now the option of a very water resistant shell.)

Ah, thanks for that info. I do have the Marmot Pinnacle, and have been very happy with that bag, and, as you mention, I think Marmot makes their bags on the slighly-roomy side, which is very nice. Not huge, but not stifling either.
The Lithium is a bit outa my price range at present, but, I can still dream. Sounds like yours is very nice and warm.

WML

by WML » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:53 pm

I have the Mountain Hardwear Wriath or whatever their -20 bag is, got it on pro deal a year plus ago and love it. Haven't taken it to its limit yet but has proven to be more than necessary even down to some of the colder temps I have encountered. I am not a huge fan of MH at all in any other areas other than their sleeping bags, which have proven to be top flight! Their 0 degree (phantom?) down bag is way light and just awesome as well. definitely good for sub-zero temps

Previous

Return to Gear