3 person single wall tent?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Kai

by Kai » Mon May 03, 2010 3:49 am

I own a 3R.

Weight of my 3R is 4 pounds, 7 ounces.

If I added the additional center pole, that would bring the weight up to about 5 pounds, I would guess. If you are going to use the tent in winter, you'd want the center pole, as it sags a lot under any sort of snowfall.

I've used my 3R in the winter, and don't really like it. In addition to sagging under snow load, the problem is the mesh at the front and rear of the tent. It's there to keep airflow going, and isn't a problem in summer.

However, I've found that in the winter, wind tends to blow a lot of snow through the mesh, and snow fills the tent. I've used the tent twice now in winter, and both times, I've had issues with lots of snow blowing into the tent and getting all over everything. There is no way to close off these mesh vents.

The 3R is my favorite big tent for 3 seasons, but I'm looking for something else for mountaineering.

There are a lot of Black Diamond Guiding Lights on close out right now. I may go with one of those.

no avatar
Dan Shorb

by Dan Shorb » Mon May 03, 2010 3:51 am

BIBLER FITZROY: It's what I took to Denali (for 2 not 3)

Ski Mountaineer

by Ski Mountaineer » Mon May 03, 2010 11:48 am

lopgok wrote:So again, why get a single wall 3 person tent, when a double wall tent is 4lbs 4.5oz?

Cause all three people can use lighter sleeping bags, cause doubles are warmer, particularly with three people in it and for the guy laying on the windward side in a cramped tent like the EV3.
FWIW - I use a Hilleberg Kaitum and I am very happy with it (except the foot print caused by the design, but that comes with other advantages).

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Tue May 04, 2010 12:46 am

lopgok wrote:
Brad Marshall wrote:The Warmlite is a very interesting and apparently lightweight tent but isn't it just a single wall tent (3CX) that you can add a liner around the main body (3CR)? Not really a double-wall tent in the sense of having a tent body and a fly. If the tent is as good as they claim I'm curious to know why I haven't heard more about or seen more of them on Denali or Aco. As for "freestanding" yes this tent is and it's the same as every other "freestanding" tent. Just means the poles can keep the tent body upright by themselves but every has to be staked down otherwise they would all just blow away.

I have a 2R and a 3R. I included links to a solo climber who used it when he climbed Denali. Even included a link of photos of the tent on the mountain.

Mine are about 18 years old. I can close the mesh vents to keep snow from blowing in. On the bottom, there are velcro closures. On the top, there is a string that can close the top vent. I have found that any tent gets looser when it gets wet or snow on it. Fortunately, these tents can be tightened from inside, by quite a bit. They are basically tensioned structures, and are stronger when really tightened down. My old TNF VE-24 only has 2 grommets for the fly, depending on how tight you want it. Last time I was in it when it rained, I had to go outside, and swap 8 pole ends in the grommets to tighten it down. At least the warmlite tents can be tightened down from inside.

I don't know why you haven't heard of them. I heard of them around 1975...

Actually, I have heard of these tents. What I stated was that I was curious to know why I hadn't heard more about these tents if they are so good? Their website basically claims theye are the lightest and strongest tents on the market so I find it odd that there isn't a lot of talk about them here on SP (or other sites) and why I haven't see a ton of them on the mountains I referred to. Just curious that's all. Did we all miss out on something? Is the cost too prohibitive?

Also, I didn't catch your answer to my question about this tent being a single wall tent.

From the Stephenson site description of their 3 person tent:

$625 3CR Tent – R=Reflective liner for reduced condensation (Highly recommended)

$580 3CX Tent – X=Without the reflective liner, ie single wall tent.

pagodatron

by pagodatron » Wed May 05, 2010 2:30 am

I am considering getting the Nemo Moki. Nice mesh screen and venting looks dope. Anyone have any comments or heard anything about it? I've been doing some research on Nemo feels like the Google or Mac of the tent world. Innovative and fresh. Considering how new they are, I'm not sure if they've been battle-tested.

http://www.nemoequipment.com/nemo2010-moki-tent

BCJ

by BCJ » Wed May 05, 2010 3:47 am

Damien Gildea wrote:
AsianBigfoot2 wrote:What's the difference regarding condensation when it comes to mountaineering and backpacking?

The materials used in most single-wall tents supposedly work better in cold, dry environments, like higher in the mountains, whereas for backpacking people may be using tents in hotter, more humid external conditions and these materials do not breathe so well in such conditions.

Exactly. I've had three of us in it on Rainier (we're all taller than 6') and had almost no condensation in the morning. Same story on a number of other mountains. The ventilation in it is pretty good, too, so that has a lot to do with it.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed May 05, 2010 4:37 am

I love my Megamid's...

Year round protection anywhere at anytime. They haven't failed me yet. Been using one in all conditions since '88.

No shet... had it in 85mph winds where everyone elses tents were failing miserably. Not us. It stood and we were cosey safe.

It has been a staple tent all over this planet on so many different expeditions since it first came out in '82.

Kai

by Kai » Wed May 05, 2010 6:46 am

BCJ wrote:Exactly. I've had three of us in it on Rainier (we're all taller than 6') and had almost no condensation in the morning. Same story on a number of other mountains. The ventilation in it is pretty good, too, so that has a lot to do with it.

How was it with 3 people? Were you able to sleep?

Previous

Return to Gear