$5,000 Bruce Chatwin book

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
Marmaduke

$5,000 Bruce Chatwin book

by Marmaduke » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:38 am

I'm still very new to hiking/climbing but I have read many, many books and this one is new to me. I guess this guy must have been somewhat of a legend? This seller thinks he can get a signed copy for $5k. Is this likely and who here on SP knew of Bruce Chatwin?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Patagonia-Bruce-Chatwin-1977-Book-Illustrated-/180766334221?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item2a16835d0d

Baarb

Re: $5,000 Bruce Chatwin book

by Baarb » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:48 am

Had wanted to read In Patagonia for a while and finally came across a copy while I was down that ways last year. A general absence of book shops means you're reliant on your fellow travellers and I guess it's a staple along with a few others. Didn't make much of an impression on me as there wasn't a lot in there that you don't experience and learn yourself travelling around the area. Am not familiar with his other works but he certainly led an interesting life and there's always points for that.

Damien Gildea

Re: $5,000 Bruce Chatwin book

by Damien Gildea » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:43 pm

Bruce Chatwin is one of the most famous travel writers of modern times, with a huge cult following in the UK. He was never a climber, but he visited plenty of wild places. He was one of the first famous people to die of AIDS, though at the time it was variously reported as some exotic blood disease. I first read 'What Am I Doing Here", a collection of some of his writings, soon after it came out, and it was something that influenced me to travel and climb so much. It's a while since I read The Songlines but it's one of his most famous books, set in Australia. He's also been described as overrated, and maybe he was more famous than his writing deserved, but he was a very interesting character. I recently flipped through 'Under The Sun" which is a published collection of his letters, and it seemed interesting, if you like his work.

Return to News