5K Race Strategies

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
IagosGhost

5K Race Strategies

by IagosGhost » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:19 pm

I'll be racing in my first real 5K race this Saturday. I ran a 5k about four years ago, but it was mostly for fun--finished in 28:08. This time I want to really compete--at least give it my best. I'm expecting to run around a 24:00, and I'll be in the 40-49 year old category.

I usually run just three days a week. This week I'll run today (Monday) then Wednesday, rest two days and race on Saturday. What do you do on these last two days: run long, slow distance or fast short distances? Or maybe a combination of both?

Also, what do you do to warm up before a race? What's a good heart rate to be at before the race? Should I be breaking a light sweat?

Thanks for the advice.
R.I.P. 2LT Michael E. McGahan 1985-2010
"It's time to be immortal 'cause heroes never die!"

bird

Re: 5K Race Strategies

by bird » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:33 pm

Don't kill yourself either day. You can't do anything to improve, only hurt yourself, this close.
Wednesday should be short and easy. You can also do an easy two miles on Thursday if you like.
Monday might be good for pacing practice, do two one-mile runs at your race pace, with a 5 minute rest in between.
Day of the race, warm up with an easy 3-5 minute jog. Then build up via short distances until you are comfortable at your race pace over 50 yards. Don't over do it. Add in some active stretching, lunge walks, hip swivels and high steps, etc.

fatdad

by fatdad » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:41 pm

I think you're over thinking this. Otherwise, good advice from bird. If you haven't done a lot of speed or endurance work going into your race, you're not going to benefit from them now.

Also, the heart rate question is something you should have dialed already if you've done a fair bit of running up to this point. That's really a function of how hard you run, how fit you are, etc. If you haven't gotten enough feedback from your own runs, no one on the internet is going to provide much useful assistance.

Go into the race open minded and use it as an opportunity to see how well you do and set goals for the next time. Enjoy it rather than overintellectualize it.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:58 pm

What Bird and Fatdad said. Whatever you do don't get injured. If you have been putting in reasonable mileage on your runs (5+ miles or so) then 5K should feel like a sprint. In the future you might look into doing interval work on a track - it's one of the best ways to build up speed, though I find it much easier to do with a group than by myself.

Tonka

by Tonka » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:01 pm

What pace are you running on slow days, interval days and fast days?

Not sure you really need two rest two days for a 5K if you've been running consistantly. I would say you could benefit from a warm-up and then a race pace or faster mile with a cool down on Tuesday or Wed. and a light, 10 minute pace, 3 - 4 miles on Thursday. It's more about the mental side now. How hard can you push it and for how long. Truely fast 5k's can and should be painful.

IagosGhost

by IagosGhost » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:24 pm

Thanks for the pointers. You've brought up some ideas that I hadn't thought of before. I realize I can't improve any performance this week, but I have some ideas for the next race. I have to admit my "training" isn't anything special. I run on the roads around my house which are very hilly. The hills essentially get me some interval training, and when I fun on flat courses, I go much faster--not very scientific, I know.

jordansahls

by jordansahls » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:37 pm

No need for things to get overly scientific. Keep running hills, they are by far one of the best things you can do. I would also get to a local track and run mile repeats one time per week if you can. basically just run a mile as fast as you can (after a proper warm up). Rest for 5 to 10 minutes, and repeat. Start off with 2 or 3 miles and work up from there. You can also do 1/2 mile repeats or mix and match distances as you see fit.

Like people said above, a true all-out 5k should be fast, intense, and a little painful (not in the bad, "I-think-I-pulled-something" way, but the "I'm at-my-limit-my-lungs-burn-and-my-legs-are-jelly" way). Good luck!

ozarkmac

by ozarkmac » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:33 am

-
race strategy: start off slow and taper.

If you decide you want to pursue competitive racing, you'll need to run a lot of miles. To reduce the stress of heavy mileage run your miles on forgiving surfaces such as grass and dirt.

IagosGhost

by IagosGhost » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:19 am

This sucks. :x I went for my run after work, and about two miles into it (I'd planned on running a slow four miles today) I felt my right knee suddenly stiffen up a little. Then I felt something catch and give with a shot of pain in my knee going through my calf. I had to stop running, and I had an uncomfortable walk home. It hurts when I put weight on it and when I bend my knee. I'm going to ice it and see what happens. But it's one of those things that you just "know" isn't good and won't get better soon. :(

So, I don't think I'll be racing this weekend.

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:12 pm

FWIW, I agree with Tonka. That's my taper routine.

Sorry about the knee. Sounds like lots of ice and NSAIDs are in order. I've had a little lingering knee problem that with a focus on form and icing after runs is getting better.

IagosGhost

by IagosGhost » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:34 am

I think you guys jinxed me when you told me not to injure myself. :P I went to the doctor today. She asked me a lot of questions about how and where it hurt. (Why does it never hurt that much in the doctor's office?) And she moved it around. She said there was not any complete ligament tears since my knee was "intact." And there was no catching or clicking either. She put me on some prescription-strength anti-inflammatory pain medication and sent me for an x-ray. If the pain doesn't subside in a week she'll order an MRI.

So, I'm grateful that I don't have major ligament damage. We'll have to wait and see what else might be the problem. This is so strange--it came out of the blue, and I'm having trouble trying to pinpoint the cause.

Return to Technique and Training