Aconcagua for the Spanish non-speaking

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
JonW

Aconcagua for the Spanish non-speaking

by JonW » Mon May 12, 2008 6:35 pm

For all of those with experience on Aconcagua,

A buddy and I are thinking about organizing an Aconcagua trip and neither of us speak Spanish. What are your experiences with doing this? Is this possible? Frustrating? Another concern of mine is communicating with the mule driver.

Any stories/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

William Marler

by William Marler » Mon May 12, 2008 10:57 pm

You should be OK. While Spanish would be of help in make your trip more rewarding... ie. conversations with the locals. If you make your arrangments in Mendoza you will find no doubt find someone who can help who speaks English. The further out of town the less likely to find English speakers. I took a couple of Spanish lessons a while back and it has made my trips easier and more memorable. You should have no major problems either way. Good luck. Cheers Bill

no avatar
mconnell

by mconnell » Tue May 13, 2008 2:08 am

The only place that I had any problems with my really poor excuse for Spanish was in a small shop in Mendoza. Fortunately, I was saved by another customer who spoke a little English. I used Rudy Parra for mules, and all of the employees I ever dealt with spoke English, as did the people in the hotels, airports, permit office, etc. (I actually had more trouble with the fact that they don't speak Spanish in Argentina, but a mixture of Spanish and Italian. At the time, I didn't understand any Italian.)

Pyroman9

by Pyroman9 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:51 pm

I am getting the Rosetta stone lv 1. Everyone on our trip is going to share the price. Although a little pricey it will make a world of difference.. and show that you gave some time and thought into your trip. And you respect the citizens and are willing to learn their language just like they have taken the time to learn ours

LC

aconcagua

by LC » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:27 pm

Obviously, a little spanish will enhance your experience in Argentina. Other than that, most of the younger generation of Argentina have learned English, so you will find no shortage of bilingual speakers. I used Inka Expediciones as a guiding service down there, and found them to be quite friendly and professional. They also provide logistical support I believe. Getting to and from Mendoza to the trail head of Aconcagua, as well as arranging mules. I'm not sure, but they also might allow you to use their bathrooms and such at Confluencia and Plaza de Mulas if you use their logistical support.

Rudy Parra i've heard is good as well, but I don't have first hand experience with him. Mendoza is a very cosmopolitan town because of the tourist trade, and you will find many English speakers at the various hotels and hostels in town. I also think it is a very safe place, and definitely somewhere where you can keep your guard down, unlike Buenos Aires.

Good luck with your trip and stay safe.

Return to South America