Advice for Bulgaria

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
karpaterna

Advice for Bulgaria

by karpaterna » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:51 am

Hi all!

7-17 of May me+girlfriend are going hiking in Bulgaria.
As there might still be a lot of snow in the highest mountains and a risk for avalanches, I have a couple of questions...

We are considering 2 hikes:

1. Climbing Musala in Rila
We don't have any ice-axes, snow-shoes etc special winter equipment... just good hiking boots, gators, hiking poles and warm clothes :)
-> Is the winter route safe and not too difficult to do in May?

2. Walking in Central Balkan NP
Visiting Botev is not necessary, as I have been there before. But we definately want to see the Rai waterfall.
-> What routes are safe in the area between Dobrila hut - Rai hut - Tazha hut?
-> I read somewhere that the path below the ridge (Vasil Levski hut - Rai hut) has avalanche danger, is that true? What is the safest way?
-> Does anybody have a map showing where the winter routes are? My map only show the summer routes...

Thank you!

no avatar
bubuto

Mussla may

by bubuto » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:36 am

Hi,

I'm from Bulgaria and visit the mountains often.

Climbing Mussala doesn't require crampons and ice axe this time of year in good weather. Currently it's quite warm here and the snow is heavy and melting. Having ones will not harm though...

There is a metal wire to the top starting from "Ledeno ezero". There is a GPS track: http://bgmountains.org/component/jdownl ... oad&cid=21

For Botev, I'd recommend starting from Panitcite, Kalofer. I haven't been in Stara planina this winter, but having in mind the weather, I believe it's safe from Kalofer and I believe there will not be much snow on the way.
You'll get to the hut "Raysko praskalo". The waterfall isn't far. However, climbing the top from there may not be a good option if there's snow.
Peak Botev is infamous for fast changing weather and winds of 100km/h and more. So, don't forget the winter clothes even if the weather seems fine.

Winter traverses are described here: http://www.bgmountains.bglink.net/. The bad news is that it's in Bulgarian. You could use google translate, though.

Info for the weather and mountains at the Bulgarian mountain rescue service: pss.bg

Hope this helps.

karpaterna

by karpaterna » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:01 am

Thanks for the info!

Do you think the path below Botev from Rai hut to Vasil Levski hut will be safe?

Return to Europe