Advice on Western Sierra hikes?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Quadaxial

Advice on Western Sierra hikes?

by Quadaxial » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:07 pm

Hi,
I've been all up and down the Eastern Sierra, but very little on the Western side and I'm looking for some good hiking ideas, preferably in the southern portion (I live in Los Angeles). I have friends visiting from out of town and would like to give them a nice overnight backpacking experiencing in the Western Sierra, something that doesn't require a ton of elevation gain, maybe around 5 miles each way, but takes in some nice views and has a nice campsite. The areas I would pick in the Eastern Sierra would either be a bit much for my friend or are places I've been to a zillion times before, so I'd like to find something that is a new experience for all of us.

Any recommendations? All advice appreciated!

Jason

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

Re: Advice on Western Sierra hikes?

by Bob Burd » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:43 pm

Mineral King offers some of the most spectacular scenery on the west side south of Kings Canyon, but you have to generally gain elevation almost from the start. Looking further south, Ruby Jenkins has a book, 2 actually, Exploring the Southern Sierra: West Side (and the companion, East Side) that I would highly recommend. Some of my favorite areas there are in Domelands Wilderness - lots of nice granite and easier trails. Check out the link above and spend less than $20 for both books, including shipping. You won't regret the investment.

colinr

by colinr » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:35 pm

If you don't mind driving and hiking through a popular area, Lakes Trail to Pear Lake might be hard to beat given your criteria. As a bonus, you can show your friends the General Sherman Tree, Moro Rock, and other tourist attractions after your backpack outing. http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/traildesc.htm

Do come back to check out Mineral King sometime if the options there seem too ambitious for your group this time. When not too hot, Domelands and Forks of Kern options are indeed worth looking into.
A bit farther north, Dinkey Lakes and Kaiser Wilderness Areas provide quick to access short hikes. This site is good for backpacking details: http://www.highsierratopix.com

Smoke from the Rough Fire has diminished, but beware: http://californiasmokeinfo.blogspot.com/?m=1

Quadaxial

by Quadaxial » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:16 pm

I appreciate the suggestions. Mineral King is one of the few places I've been to on the West, but I've ruled it out for this particular trip because the immediate altitude gain might be a bit much for my friend and also the drive to get there is a bit agonizing.

I'm wondering what the best trail would be in the most southern section, to limit my drive time from LA. Maybe something closer to Lake Isabella, or along Sherman Pass Road (which I've never done)?

colinr

by colinr » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:02 am

If part of your main reasoning for heading to Sherman Pass area is to save driving time, don't count on it being a quick drive. It will be quicker than Mineral King, but not drastically easier than getting to somewhere like Lodgepole/Wolverton. If nobody gets more specific here on SP, folks on HST/highsierratopix forum will probably provide specific easy backpack trip ideas and possibly camp spots if you ask.

fatdad

by fatdad » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:08 pm

Generally the further south you are the less impressive the scenery will be. Still nice--lots of trees, meadows--but fewer lakes and far fewer peaks.

I did an overnight to Mehrten Meadow with a day hike to Moose Lake in Sequoia years ago that was fun. Some people do that as a three day loop and continue on to Pear Lake, the middle portion being off trail.

No sure if this is west side, but Ostrander Lake is a nice and easy overnight.

If you want something closer to home, you could hit the Golden Trout Wilderness. About 4 hrs. from LA. No lakes and what views of the mountains you'll see will be through the trees, but still fun. It's about 5 miles one way to Grey Meadow by the Clicks Creek trailhead. From Jerkey Meadows, it's about 5 miles downhill to the Little Kern River. If you're looking for a lake hike, the closest one I can think of is Maggies Lakes from the Summit Trailhead, though that's about 9 miles o/w. Keep in mind that deer hunting season in is the fall. I did a quick overnight once and saw a bunch of guys in camo near the trailhead when I was hiking back out. Then I realized that some of the booms I heard on my hike were gunshots. You will avoid that prospect if you go to a National Park.

Return to California