Aiguille Du Midi route question.

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
barrys

Aiguille Du Midi route question.

by barrys » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:24 pm

From photographs of it taken from the north and west I kept seeing what looks like a really nice line up it from the old 'les glaciers' station running up to Abri Simond and the Valee Blanche. Cosmiques and the Abri are only 1300metres above Plan D'Aiguille so if there is a route it would be doable as a day climb - which is what I am looking for. There's a small glacier, Glacier Rond, to the east of the Plan Glacier on Bossons, above which there's a hanging glacier, a couple of large couloirs, and a fairly gentle looking buttress. It looks, from photos like getting up wouldn't be too difficult. Does anyone know anything about it? I'm really tempted to try it, even if the only info I have on it is a bunch of high res pictures, I can see continuous ice and rock that can't be more than 50degrees and look relatively shielded from avalanche etc. and the gradient looks ok on my IGN maps. There's a brief section on the Aiguille Du Midi page about skiing down the glacier rond, but there's no mention of a route up around here. Anyone have any info on climbing in this area? I wanna have a go!

Thanks.

barrys

by barrys » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:10 am

Thanks for the suggestion, I do have a stack of Alpine guide books, not this though and I've also spent alot of time on the internet and sitting in a large book store going through books to see if I can find any info.

I guess a better question may be does anyone know of a Summitpost Chamonix expert they can point me in the direction of?

JakobFisker

by JakobFisker » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:20 pm

It might be the cosmique couloir, i starts just 100 meters from cosmique hut and 30 meters from Abri Simond. It is normally a ski descent in winter, to my knowledge rarely climbed in the summer.

barrys

by barrys » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:18 pm

Hi Jakob, thanks for trying!! It is close to the Cosmiques route and meets up with the normal 'Rond' ski descent route near the top. The start would be east of the bottom of the cosmiques, just before the glacier des bossons. I'm going to have a look at it up close in a couple of weeks anyway.

Return to Europe