Alaska Gates of the Arctic DOCUMENTARY

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
emdennis

Alaska Gates of the Arctic DOCUMENTARY

by emdennis » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:07 am

Hey everyone I wanted to share this with everyone. Its the finished documentary from a recent adventure. Shot on the 5D mark II.

My brother and I just got back from The Gates of the Arctic, Alaska in August and I filmed EVERYTHING! I still have to create a video on all the details about what I do to keep my camera fully charged (with almost unlimited power) for two weeks using solar power. Anyway enjoy the documentary!

bdizzle

Re: Alaska Gates of the Arctic DOCUMENTARY

by bdizzle » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:19 pm

Great job i loved it! what a beautiful place! I cant wait to get my documentary done! I love the 5D its such a good camera, i wish i had the money for it! im using a Canon T2i not as good but gets the job done! Anyways great job would love to see more from you guys!

no avatar
emdennis

by emdennis » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:10 pm

Thanks. I appreciate the kind words.

no avatar
edl

by edl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:32 pm

Very cool documentary. I especially enjoyed the scenes in the Arrigetch Peaks.

My brother and I did a similar trip in 2002. We flew into the headwaters of the Alatna, probably the same lake you landed at. We then hiked east for two weeks to get picked up at Agiak Lake. It was one of the best trips of my life. This, dispite having encounters with 6 grizzlies in the first two days of hiking, one of which charged us 3 times. Our last night at Agiak Lake we got chased out of camp by a grizzly, and ended up discovering a human skull and bones of a native burial site.

The most amazing thing about the trip was flying north out of Bettles. You fly for about an hour or so, and you don't see any signs of human existance anywhere. Then you realize you haven't even entered the "wilderness" area yet. The size and scope of Alaska is astounding.

Great job on the trip and thanks for the video!

no avatar
emdennis

by emdennis » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:26 pm

Thanks for sharing those stories. It definitely sounds like a trip of a life time. I had a similar felling on the bush plane.When I saw the mountains we were flying into I have never felt so intimidated, excited, scared etc. I hope to go back soon and do a trip more like the one you went on. And of course film it all. Thanks again.

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:23 pm

Great stuff! Really cool Alpenglow.

How were the skeeters?
OCCUPY SUMMITPOST !

no avatar
emdennis

by emdennis » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:59 pm

We went in the end of August and they were never a problem. Actually they weren't even noticeable. It was very wet and moist up near the tundra so I could imagine an earlier trip would have been infested with them.

asmrz

by asmrz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:38 pm

Hi Eric
What a wonderful visual description of an incredible trip. You guys captured it perfectly. Yeh, sitting here in front of the PC I can only say, I wish...etc etc. Alaska is still the best place for adventure, this side of the planet. Congrats and thanks for making me say over and over, we still might be able to go, we should, we really must...Wonderful inspiration, quality show. Thanks. Alois.

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:57 am

Wow...thanks for sharing that. It just made me very nostalgic...I visited the Brooks Range as a teenager on a family/friends trip, and I remember those stark, foreboding mountains, the endless tundra, that incredible feeling that you are in a place where possibly no other human has set foot. Makes me want to go back!

no avatar
emdennis

by emdennis » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:33 am

I completely understand. Everytime I watch the video it makes me want to go back too.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:09 am

Great job guys, what a trip. Enjoyed!! Saw what appeared to be fresh bear tracks but I guess you didn't encounter any?

DersuUzala

by DersuUzala » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:54 pm

Thanks for sharing, really nice story. The 5D did a very impressive job, I bought a T2i a couple months ago and now you've got me inspired! Arthur beat me to it - no skeeters, wow what timing! and those wet packs didn't look very fun, ee-ah all part of the adventure! You only carried a shotgun for a bear deterrent? No grizzes in the video, did you see any?
You've gotta be crazy to be sane

no avatar
emdennis

by emdennis » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:15 pm

We saw lots of track and some fur but no encounters with any on the ground we were heading in the opposite direction they were at the time. We did see a huge black wolf, I thought it was a bear at first, but I couldn't get the camera out fast enough. We did end up seeing some on the way out from the bush plane and boy am I glad we didn't see any face to face because they were gigantic.

McCannster

by McCannster » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:58 pm

Inspirational.

rasgoat

by rasgoat » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:40 pm

Yes, Very Nice!

Next

Return to General