Alex Honnold

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
rgg
Forum Moderator

Re: Alex Honnold

by rgg » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:00 pm

Eh... Did you notice the publishing date of this video?

Jacky Chan

by Jacky Chan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:05 pm

Diego Sahagún wrote:Image

Hmm... an interesting read :!: Anyone leafed through this book? is it a biography or mostly pшctures?

Simkin

by Simkin » Sun May 28, 2017 12:08 am

Scientific article on Honnold. fMRI of his brain shows no fear

http://nautil.us/issue/39/sport/the-str ... lo-climber

It is difficult to get an access to fMRI, but I did measure my heart rate using a monitor while sitting on the edge of a rock. It was 65-70. Should have been much higher in case of any fear. Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrE9y104TBQ . You can see the numbers on the heart rate monitor if you select HD resolution.

desainme

by desainme » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:18 pm

Free Rider sans rope!

sierraguy

by sierraguy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:31 pm

asmrz

by asmrz » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:50 am

I just read the news (with sweaty palms). This is an absolute game changer in our sport. Never again will rope and gear be considered mandatory on big walls (at least by the elite, for now). I guess it was inevitable next step in climbing. Congrats and respect to a really nice guy and incredibly visionary climber.

The following user would like to thank asmrz for this post
96avs01, dadndave, Marmaduke

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:50 am

asmrz wrote:I just read the news (with sweaty palms). This is an absolute game changer in our sport. Never again will rope and gear be considered mandatory on big walls (at least by the elite, for now). I guess it was inevitable next step in climbing. Congrats and respect to a really nice guy and incredibly visionary climber.

The link for your post. Incredible!
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adven ... 84839113=1

The following user would like to thank Marmaduke for this post
asmrz, boyblue

asmrz

by asmrz » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:47 pm

Thanks Marmaduke.

Easily the most incredible feat in climbing, EVER, and in my mind, the most far reaching event in any sport history. It must be the most amazing adventure by a single human being, so impressive.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:32 am

asmrz wrote:Thanks Marmaduke.

Easily the most incredible feat in climbing, EVER, and in my mind, the most far reaching event in any sport history. It must be the most amazing adventure by a single human being, so impressive.

A few years ago I was sitting on the summit of Tenaya Peak (took the easy way up) and suddenly coming over the rock ledge were two climbers, they'd just free climbed a 5.7 or 5.8 route. I spoke with them for some time. They were both SARS people and said they had seen so much in the valley through the years. I asked if Honnold was the best rock, big wall best climber ever. They said no, they mentioned others (I don't recall whom they spoke of) BUT I wonder if they've changed their minds now.......

asmrz

by asmrz » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:06 am

It was about 1981. My partner and I sat around campfire in Tuolumne with several older climbers. I didn't know their names then, but now I know they were some of the greatest names in US climbing sitting around that campfire. We just came down from (what we considered) an extremely hard route on Fairview. We were proud of what we did. One guy sitting at the fire ring said, you guys think, you did something special? Well, maybe you did, today. But just give it five years and there will be a tsunami of ascents that will make your effort totally insignificant.

I though then, a bit harsh assessment...

Today, we all can see the sport running away from all that was great just yesterday. The ability, strength and courage of today's climbers is way out there. Things that could not be imagined a few years ago are facts today. And Hannold is not just leading the way, he's more than a few years ahead of the pack.

The following user would like to thank asmrz for this post
Marmaduke

desainme

by desainme » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:17 am

The following user would like to thank desainme for this post
asmrz, Marmaduke

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:31 pm

It's a massive accomplishment, no doubt. I'm just wondering if all of the attention to these types of feats will spark a rash of young people going out and trying this stuff from a state of ignorance. It's a double edged sword as when young people start dying, the ignorant masses start clamoring for regulation.

asmrz

by asmrz » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:38 pm

I think it is very instructive to read some entries by (mostly) very good and some great names in US climbing, commenting on the ascent on Supertopo

http://www.supertopo.com/climbers-forum ... los-El-Cap

Simkin

by Simkin » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:47 am

WyomingSummits wrote:I'm just wondering if all of the attention to these types of feats will spark a rash of young people going out and trying this stuff from a state of ignorance.

I guess this is what the MSM will use as an excuse to suppress the news.

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:03 am

Well the "MSM" down here in Oz didn't suppress it. The Sports news presenter on my favourite news channel here reported it but was struggling to find superlatives. So am I for that matter. Good on you Mr Honnold. Total respect.

As for Wyoming Summit's post: I doubt that it's really a worry. If Alex Honnold walked away so many times, knowing he wasn't ready for it, I can't imagine that inexperienced climbers who haven't put the hard yards in (climbing the route protected multiple times until you know it like the back of your hand as AH did) would get much beyond the approach without wetting their pants.
The strawman is evil and must be punished,

PreviousNext

Return to News