Alex Honnold

Mountaineering, rock climbing, and hiking news.
atavist

Re: Alex Honnold

by atavist » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:18 am

An analogy for us mortals
Or how to be Alex Honnold:

First ingredient, start with the physical supremacy and preparation of Roger Bannister and exert yourself as if breaking the 4-minute mile for the first time. Second ingredient, add the mental strength of Gary Kasparov to focus concentration like you're in a grudge match with Deep Blue. Third ingredient, hire a friend to stand behind you with a Luger pointed at your head and instructions to fire if you make any mistake, if you sneeze or it starts to rain. Fourth ingredient, volunteer to do all of the above at the same time for no money with humility and a sense of humor.

On the other hand, Kasparov lost. And the sub-4 minute mile was repeated twice within two months after Bannister. How many months will pass before this is repeated and will anyone die trying?

Simkin

by Simkin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:31 am

asmrz wrote:I just read the news (with sweaty palms).

In another thread I was told that I should trust you in everything because you are a god. Now I learned that god got sweaty palms. I am no god and still do not have such reflexes.

RobSC

by RobSC » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:29 pm

Marcsoltan wrote:I seriously doubt anything is going to happen to Honnold free soloing hard stuff. Looking back at a few examples shows me that most of the soloing accidents have happened on much easier climbs, way below the climbers ability. One such case is what happened to John Bachar on the north face of Dike Wall. There are only three options there, a 5.8 hand crack, a 10a face and a 10b face. All well below Bachar's climbing grade, even after his car accident. I have written a short personal note on that, and it's featured on the front page of Summit Post at this time. Click on the small photo on the right hand side.
I wish I could remember the name of the British climbers who used to live in Colorado and was making a big name for himself soloing 5.12 routes. Unfortunately, he met his maker on "DNB" 5.9 route on Middle Cathedral Rock in Yosemite.

Hate to use myself as an example, but I nearly lost my life on a 5.6 that I had soloed dozens of times. I quit soloing after that.
What I'm saying here isn't a rule of thumb by any means, but I think it shows a trend.

I think that you are thinking of Derek Hersey who died on the Steck-Salathe route on Sentinel Rock in 1993. From what I remember, he'd just climbed the Nose the day before, partied hard that night got up late and then got caught in a storm while climbing that next day. I had a close friend who died in 2001 on the DNB of Middle Cathedral when her partner didn't put in gear above the belay but that's another story and she didn't free solo and wasn't British...

Marcsoltan

by Marcsoltan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:32 pm

RobSC wrote:
Marcsoltan wrote:I seriously doubt anything is going to happen to Honnold free soloing hard stuff. Looking back at a few examples shows me that most of the soloing accidents have happened on much easier climbs, way below the climbers ability. One such case is what happened to John Bachar on the north face of Dike Wall. There are only three options there, a 5.8 hand crack, a 10a face and a 10b face. All well below Bachar's climbing grade, even after his car accident. I have written a short personal note on that, and it's featured on the front page of Summit Post at this time. Click on the small photo on the right hand side.
I wish I could remember the name of the British climbers who used to live in Colorado and was making a big name for himself soloing 5.12 routes. Unfortunately, he met his maker on "DNB" 5.9 route on Middle Cathedral Rock in Yosemite.

Hate to use myself as an example, but I nearly lost my life on a 5.6 that I had soloed dozens of times. I quit soloing after that.
What I'm saying here isn't a rule of thumb by any means, but I think it shows a trend.

I think that you are thinking of Derek Hersey who died on the Steck-Salathe route on Sentinel Rock in 1993. From what I remember, he'd just climbed the Nose the day before, partied hard that night got up late and then got caught in a storm while climbing that next day. I had a close friend who died in 2001 on the DNB of Middle Cathedral when her partner didn't put in gear above the belay but that's another story and she didn't free solo and wasn't British...

Yes, I was referring to Derek Hersey who was soloing on the Steck-Salathe route on Sentinel Rock in Yosemite the day after doing The Nose in one day.

Simkin

by Simkin » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:56 pm

wallspeck wrote:I certain didn't mean to imply death while soloing was some grand glory thing. Quite the opposite.

wallspeck

by wallspeck » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:27 am

Hmm. Well, Simkin does make a point.

Deb

by Deb » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:57 pm

Hi, Jack. :)

Simkin

by Simkin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:30 pm

fatdad wrote:Saw the video, is which nice if you can deal with the whole Gopro helmet cam thing, which I dislike, but I digress. I don't know where the N. Arete of BCS came in, but the brief article that accompanied the video didn't say N. Arete (though it incorrectly identified the peak as being in Yosemite, so maybe the climber provided bad facts on more than one point). With the exception of a short, wide section of 5.8 about midway up, that would not be a bad solo. Having said that, all you need is a short weird section to make the whole endeavor pretty dicey. When I climbed it, someone soloed past us, and I was under the impression that it got soloed fairly often.

That's a class 4 route. But don't the vast majority of climbers rope up for a class 4? The video has a lot of looks straight down. Don't they teach climbers not to look down? That's why the video got some attention.

Here are two 5.6 routes
Crystal Crag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obhTD42JJK0

Cathedral (halted by a thunderstorm)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT91ZOHAkbU

fatdad wrote:I did some a fair amount of soloing BITD, including things like Whitney's E. Face and Snake Dike. However, especially after the latter, I just wasn't that into it any more.

A climber who fell from grace with the rocks.

no avatar
arnehendricks86

by arnehendricks86 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:40 pm

i get sweaty palms from just watching this guy.

nartreb

by nartreb » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:51 pm

Speaking of Honnold, I finally got around to watching _Free Solo_ the other day (it's in a few theaters still, and I definitely recommend seeing it on the big screen). It was truly excellent. Bring your non-climbing friends. Not just a rah-rah highlight reel, it's a documentary that gets you deeply invested in Alex before unleashing the nail-biting climax.

I went in expecting technically challenging camera work and awesome scenery, and got that in spades, but also walked out hugely impressed with the storytelling.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/film ... creenings/

The following user would like to thank nartreb for this post
96avs01

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:19 pm

I saw it on the plane last week and agree with that assessment.

Previous

Return to News