Alpine Boots

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
DAS

Alpine Boots

by DAS » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:36 am

I am new to alpine mountaineering and am interested in buying a good multi-purpose boot. My intended uses will be primarily summer (May - September?) alpine routes in the Cascades (ideally glaciated, moderate rock) and also ice climbing in the winter in the midwest.

I would love to hear if anyone has any recommendations on a boot that is a good general mountaineering boot and also can be an effective ice climbing boot for a newbie. I have an average to slightly wide foot and typically do not have trouble with cold feet until I get down around 10 degrees or less and am not moving.

I used plastics (Invernos) for a recent guided Shuksan Sulphide glacier climb but came away with an infection due to ankle damage. I've read all the posts on SP, and it seems like Sportivas are common. I've been eyeing the Trango Extreme Evos, but have not seen many reviews on this boot (particularly if people think it's warm enough for ice climbing). Any other thoughts / ideas would be welcome - thanks!

brandon

by brandon » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:40 am

Sportiva boots generally fit narrow and low volume feet the best. Scarpa make really nice boots also, and they tend to fit wide and higher volume feet better.

A good boot fitter can work wonders on a boot for you that doesn't quite fit.

mtngrl

by mtngrl » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:56 pm

I have a pair of Kayland's. Fit great and are warm. I've used them in the Cascades late summer (a little warm for the hike in) and in the winter in the Daks and the Whites (NH) for climbing and hiking.

Check out sierratrader.com. They are carrying a lot of mountaineering boots now and at some good prices.
Zappo's occasionally has mountaineering boots, too.

WML

by WML » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:05 am

Nepal Evos. Excellent boot unless you're climbing outside of the lower 48.

rockymtnclimber

by rockymtnclimber » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:06 am

I don't hear a lot of other commentary on them, but I love my Lowa climbing boots. I have the Cristallo Pro, but I'm not sure they still make that model. The Lowa's were pretty comfortable straight out of the box, similar to my Lowa light hikers. I have a fairly moderate foot size, maybe tending towards the low volume side.

no avatar
DAS

by DAS » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:13 pm

Thanks for advice! Sounds like the Nepals are a well-respected boot. Just hoping that they fit my feet.

LakeofConstance

by LakeofConstance » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:13 am

I'm a big Scarpa fan (got the right feet for these shoes). I got the Triolet and never had a better fit at my heels. They are great for your summer glacier climbs and for (European) ice climbing. The North American winters will require some tweaking.
The Scarpa Jorasses is insulated and has an even more rigid sole, and so does the Scarpa Summit.
If La Sportiva is not for you, Scarpa is definitely worth a try.

Snowy

LS and Kayland

by Snowy » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:13 am

I've always been a pretty big La Sportiva, but I've also really liked Kayland. I had a chance to try the M11+ out last week, and they were pretty awesome...closer to a Fall/Winter/Spring boot, but not all that insulated either.

Koy

by Koy » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:28 am

+1 for Kayland Boots. For primarily a summer boot, I think the Nepals would be overkill. I used to use the Nepals and liked them, but switched to these and am real happy I did. Significanltly lighter, but still stiff enough for vertical ice. Still plenty of insulation though for colder days.....

http://us.kayland.com/details.php?id=34

no avatar
DAS

by DAS » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:04 pm

Thanks for advice all. Ended up with the Nepal EVOs. Very happy with them!

climbxclimb

by climbxclimb » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:55 pm

If it is mainly summer climbing the Nepal are too much.
Better something like the LS Trango Prime, lighter and more precise.
This is what I use now for climbing in the Alps in the summer and even for ice climbing in winter in North East, so far with 8F, my feet were still fine. given that they fit you, they are narrower than the Nepal

no avatar
DAS

by DAS » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:53 am

FortMental, if you are referring to the SPGear reviews, those are super helpful, and I will surely contribute to the Nepal page. I had seen these early on, but with little knowledge of boots, I had no idea where to start reading, and frankly do not have enough time to sift through all reviews for the many boot models listed. The gear forum was super helpful to me as a beginner in being able to throw out a question about boots specific to my needs - thanks again!

Return to Gear