Alps in high detail in Google Earth

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
schmid_th

by schmid_th » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:44 am

Also the Austrian Alps (f.e. Grossglockner) has no good details. But the Swiss Alps are perfect.
The Andes are also in great detail.

Has anybody found Dent du Géant at the new Google Earth?!? I only can see Grandes Jorasses, but Dent du Géant is missing...

Rick B

by Rick B » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:08 pm

Yes some summits are flattened, their highest point probably falls directly in between grid points. Dom has a flat summit for instance, and Stecknadelhorn is also missing from the nadelgrat.

schmid_th

by schmid_th » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:21 pm

Rick B wrote:Yes some summits are flattened, their highest point probably falls directly in between grid points. Dom has a flat summit for instance, and Stecknadelhorn is also missing from the nadelgrat.

Thanks God that it´s only a problem of Google Earth. I just thought that I never would climb Dent du Géant as it disappeared!!! :lol:

Rick B

by Rick B » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:12 pm

This is also a great tool for making route diagrams, you can view the mountain from angles and altitudes that you normally can't.

Example: Ulrichshorn from Bordier Hut

schmid_th

by schmid_th » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:14 am

You also can zoom at the summit of a mountain and then you can enjoy the summit view without climbing the mountain!!! :lol:

Previous

Return to Europe