Alps Peak suggestion for April 6-8

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Peak Freak

Alps Peak suggestion for April 6-8

by Peak Freak » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:02 am

I'll be staying at a villa in Provence for the first couple weeks of April. All I know right now is that the nearest city is Avignon. I have April 6 - 8 free to go climb something but don't even know where to start. I'm doing Denali in May, so I hate the thought of spending close to three weeks without getting out to the snow to keep the legs fresh.

There will be three of us. Two experienced, and a third extremely fit and tough, but no technical or winter experience yet. We'll bring her up to speed, but don't want to do anything too technical. If we were in my neck of the woods, I'd say Coleman Demming on Baker would be perfect!

- We'd be on snowshoes, not skis.
- Something a few hours train ride from Avignon. (we have a rental car in Avignon, but prefer not to drive if possible)
- would like to camp on the mountain

Partners are welcome!

Any suggestions?

schmid_th

by schmid_th » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:21 am

The most southern 4.000 m peak in the Alps is Barre des Écrins and Dôme de Neige.
Really a long way from the valley, good for condition but not too difficult to Écrins hut.
From the hut you can climb Roche Faurio (relatively easy, 3.770 m), Dôme de Neige (easy, 4.000 m) and Barre des Écrins (4.101 m PD+, difficult when the ridge is icy).

You have to drive with your car. But the distance is not so extremely far. Another possibility would be Mont Blanc. From Chamonix Mont Blanc is often made with skis or snow shoes in April. This should be also a good preparation for your Denali trip.

Bart

by Bart » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:35 am

It's something I;ve been wondeirng about lately as well. Does anyone know if there is any climbing to be done in April in the Urner Alps? Galengrat on the Galenstock and Graue Wand? Would it be too cold for technical rock climbing, too much snow for snowshoes?
And what about the Badile, perhaps an early attempt on the Nordkante or is that insane? :)
In reply to the OP I think Chamonix makes a good early-season option as it is accesible by road without having to cross any mountain passes which could be closed and the ski-lifts make access to the mountains easy. Preferable if you don' t want to slog through deep snow on snowshoes too long. I'd be thinking about the Petite Aiguille Verte (normal route or the Chevalier Couloir) and perhaps the Aiguille du Midi (Cosmique Arete) or the Mt Blanc du Tacul (normalroute).

Hope this helps!

Bart

Peak Freak

by Peak Freak » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:53 pm

Thanks for the great tips!!! I'll start looking into those.

Anyone want to join us?

Eileen

mountaindog

by mountaindog » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:03 pm

Barre des Ecrins and the rest of those peaks within the Parc des Ecrins may not be accessible due to snow closing the road to Berrarde. You can approach it from the west side but that will add much time to the approach. Suggest checking first.

If you are Denali-bound, why not just head for Mont Blanc or the Bionossay?

Also, if you have time to grope some rock - head for the Calanques near Cassis.

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... nques.html

Peak Freak

by Peak Freak » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:38 am

New development....

My partners may opt to go hiking those days instead, and leave all the gear at home. I'd still like to get out and camp in the snow. Would love to either find new partner(s) to go with, or find something non-glaciated that I can do solo. Anyone free that weekend?

Mountaindog,
The Calaques look fabulous! I think I have the day off March 31 (& possibly even April 1) where I could go climbing somewhere.

Found out today that our villa is in Carpentras, which is North East of Avignon.

Eileen

Peak Freak

by Peak Freak » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:41 pm

I've posted in the Plans & Partners section.

Thomas, Bart, Mountaindog (anyone else?) free to join me either weekend?

Eileen

mountaindog

by mountaindog » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:00 pm

Thanks but I'll be driving up to Cham that day.

Bart

by Bart » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:44 pm

Thanks for the invite but I've already got a trip planned with some friends, we're not sure where to go yet but it'll probably be Chamonix...

Bart

Peak Freak

by Peak Freak » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:37 pm

If I don't find a trip partner(s), any suggestions as to something that I can do solo (i.e. a non-glaciated route somewhere?). Would still want to camp on the mountain.

mountaindog

by mountaindog » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:02 pm

Peak Freak wrote:If I don't find a trip partner(s), any suggestions as to something that I can do solo (i.e. a non-glaciated route somewhere?). Would still want to camp on the mountain.

Eileen,
You'll be 2 hours from Grenoble and just over 4 hours from Chamonix.

Given what you want to do, time involved, and the fact that you are alone, I would look for:

-A dash to the Parc des Ecrins (if the Berrarde road is open) and have a go at Pic Coolidge or Barre des Ecrins (glaciated but well tromped). If you bring rock gear and can scare up a partner, you can easily climb the Aiguille Dibona in a day.

-An early dash to Les Houches (by Chamonix), catch the lift up to the train to Nid d'aigle, and start to the top of the Aiguille du Gouter (camp on top). If you get a late start, stop and camp at the Tete Rouse hut instead. This quick visit will only make you want to return as soon as possible.

-A nice daylong via ferrata and bivy nearby. There are several in this part of the Alps and I used to have a book of them (but gave it away when moving to Italy). There may be some in Provence as well - perhaps someone can chime in with some suggestions.

-Then again, the Calanques still can't be ignored. You'll be so close! If you bring your gear and decide to go, consider approaching from Cassis (hike in or have a boat drop you off at En Vau).

I wish I could join you but I'm committed to Cham that week and will be driving from Rome to Cham on the 1st. Let me know next time you'll be over this way.

Cheers,

Chris
Last edited by mountaindog on Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peak Freak

by Peak Freak » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:58 pm

Thanks, everyone for the GREAT suggestions!!!! Much appreciated. Keep 'em coming. Given that I'll likely be solo, I don't really have to commit to anything specific right away. All feedback is welcome.

Eileen

Diego Sahagún

by Diego Sahagún » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:31 am

Eileen, it will be so rainy (snowy) in the Alps by that time

Peak Freak

by Peak Freak » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:39 am

Hmmmmmmm....

What's going on in Spain? :wink:

Conditions any better in the Pyrenees?
Be fun to finally meet up with you after all these years!

Next

Return to Europe