alternatives to Global Rescue for backcountry insurance

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.
fossana

alternatives to Global Rescue for backcountry insurance

by fossana » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:52 pm

Does anyone know of any alternatives to Global Rescue for annual domestic backcountry insurance that will cover higher risk activities (like climbing)? A friend mentioned Calstar a while ago but they appear to only cover NoCal. Most of my climbing is in the E Sierra. There's an older thread here mostly around Global Rescue, but the alternative companies mentioned are for Canadians. My main concern is that they need to coordinate everything (i.e. if someone or my PLB notifies Inyo SAR first does that negate my coverage?). thanks

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:05 pm

I believe the annual American Alpine Club membership includes rescue insurance with no limitation on altitude.

http://www.americanalpineclub.org/whyjoin

Here in Canada some climbers have told me their automobile club membership (BCAA) also includes some insurance so maybe the AAA might have something.

fossana

by fossana » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:36 pm

Brad Marshall wrote:I believe the annual American Alpine Club membership includes rescue insurance with no limitation on altitude.

http://www.americanalpineclub.org/whyjoin

Here in Canada some climbers have told me their automobile club membership (BCAA) also includes some insurance so maybe the AAA might have something.

Much to the dismay of many members, a few years back AAC changed their policy to covering the first $5K of evac but only if Global Rescue is used. If you want additional coverage it's a 5% discount (regular rate of $329/year).

I just called Global Rescue and they won't guarantee coverage if a local SAR is notified first. They claim they will evaluate this on a case-by-case basis. I asked for examples, but they couldn't readily provide any. I was told they would get back to me later.

welle

by welle » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:13 pm

I thought they would cover it, but only if you call them first before the rescue initiated. So it is advised to tell all your partners to call the Boston number first if anything.

fossana

by fossana » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:35 pm

welle wrote:I thought they would cover it, but only if you call them first before the rescue initiated. So it is advised to tell all your partners to call the Boston number first if anything.

Only if they coordinate it. Given the almost non-existent cell phone coverage in the backcountry and the fact that personal locator beacons tap into the local emergency dispatch system it is unrealistic to rely on coverage through Global Rescue for timely backcountry evac support.

fossana

by fossana » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:32 pm

UPDATE
To their credit they did call back, but they were unable to provide any evidence of cases where they retroactively covered rescue costs provided by a local SAR.

brenta

by brenta » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:14 am

I read this on the AAC website:

"When injured within the United States, members should call 911 immediately and then contact Global Rescue as soon as possible during the course of the rescue."

I've taken this to mean that if I have no cell phone connection, but my PLB calls 911 via satellite, then as soon as possible is as soon as I get coverage.

But maybe I'm wrong. I've never had to use their services and I've never talked to them.

What I really don't like about Global Rescue is the provision about emergencies abroad. The fact that in case of emergency in the Alps I should call them instead of the local SAR makes me act as if they didn't exist and I regard the money I pay as part of my AAC membership for that benefit as poured down the drain.

fossana

by fossana » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:24 am

brenta wrote:I read this on the AAC website:

"When injured within the United States, members should call 911 immediately and then contact Global Rescue as soon as possible during the course of the rescue."

I've taken this to mean that if I have no cell phone connection, but my PLB calls 911 via satellite, then as soon as possible is as soon as I get coverage.

But maybe I'm wrong. I've never had to use their services and I've never talked to them.

What I really don't like about Global Rescue is the provision about emergencies abroad. The fact that in case of emergency in the Alps I should call them instead of the local SAR makes me act as if they didn't exist and I regard the money I pay as part of my AAC membership for that benefit as poured down the drain.

The GR rep told me that you have to preempt local SAR initiating a rescue operation to guarantee coverage. I'm not sure what the turnaround time is for emergency dispatch but my guess is that unless you're very close to an area of cell coverage you're unlikely to preempt initiation. He said if it's life threatening you should call 911. I don't understand the point of having evac coverage if it they won't guarantee reimbursement for life threatening situations. If it's not life threatening I'll do what others have done and get someone to hire a mule from one of the pack stations for a fraction of the cost.

I canceled my AAC membership after the change in policy. It's frustrating b/c backcountry insurance for climbers is hard to find and I would expect a climbing advocacy group to include pushing for a viable backcountry insurance program as part of their mission.
Last edited by fossana on Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:27 am

fossana wrote:UPDATE
To their credit they did call back, but they were unable to provide any evidence of cases where they retroactively covered rescue costs provided by a local SAR.

How about Ingle International?

http://www.ingleinternational.com/peakf ... siteId=141

World First?

http://www.world-first.co.uk/

World Nomads?

http://www.worldnomads.com/allcountries ... 1180de8a_1
Last edited by Brad Marshall on Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

fossana

by fossana » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:31 am

Brad Marshall wrote:
fossana wrote:UPDATE

How about Ingle International?

http://www.ingleinternational.com/peakf ... siteId=141

Thanks Brad, but the website says:

TIC's medical plans offer affordable Emergency Excess Medical & Hospital travel and Trip Cancellation insurance for Canadian residents travelling out of province and/or out of country.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:33 am

Check the "All Other Travellers Section" and select the Sports Rider Coverage.

fossana

by fossana » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:36 am

Just noticed that Mazamas offers basic coverage.

fossana

by fossana » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:48 am

Brad Marshall wrote:Check the "All Other Travellers Section" and select the Sports Rider Coverage.

This is clearly listed as international travel insurance, not domestic.

Greg Enright

by Greg Enright » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:05 am

You really don't need rescue insurance for the Eastern Sierra. Neither Inyo or Mono counties will send you a bill for rescue. By state law, the costs for rescue are billed to the county of residence for the rescued person. So, Inyo sends a bill to LA County, then LA County throws the bill in the trash.

You will get a bill for an ambulance ride from a trailhead or airport to the hospital, but that may be covered by your medical insurance plan.

If you are in need of rescue in the Eastern Sierra, call 911. I can't imagine how a private insurance firm is going to give you a better rescue than the local volunteers that do it all the time for free.

fossana

by fossana » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:27 am

Greg Enright wrote:You really don't need rescue insurance for the Eastern Sierra. Neither Inyo or Mono counties will send you a bill for rescue. By state law, the costs for rescue are billed to the county of residence for the rescued person. So, Inyo sends a bill to LA County, then LA County throws the bill in the trash.

You will get a bill for an ambulance ride from a trailhead or airport to the hospital, but that may be covered by your medical insurance plan.

If you are in need of rescue in the Eastern Sierra, call 911. I can't imagine how a private insurance firm is going to give you a better rescue than the local volunteers that do it all the time for free.

Thanks, I realize it is unlikely I will see a bill (my residence will be Inyo Co. starting next month), but I also don't want to be the case that sets a precedence for change in policy and if insurance would reimburse that's not a bad thing. Maybe it's better if I organize a fundraiser for Inyo SAR this fall if I keep hitting dead ends.

Next

Return to Mountain Medicine & Rescue