American team 6 for 6 in S. Peru

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
Vic Hanson

American team 6 for 6 in S. Peru

by Vic Hanson » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:41 am

Smiley, Nathan and I did Pichupichu a week ago Friday for them to aclimatize, they both had headaches but reached the summit OK. Saturday we hiked to base camp on El Misti and summited on Sunday. Monday we drove to Chachani, camped at 16,000' and summited on Tuesday. Wednesday we drove to Ampato and camped at the end of the 4x4 road. They summited on Thursday (10 hours RT), I only made it to the base of the summit wall. Yesterday they did a 17,000'+ mountain from the road near Chivay while I rested and watched the car. Today we summited Mismi and drove back to Arequipa this evening. Time for a full rest day tomorrow and then on Monday will drive to near Cotahuasi to climb Coropuna. Trip reports to follow when we are done. Vic

Vic Hanson

Coropuna makes 7

by Vic Hanson » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:52 am

We camped at the lowest "high" camp at 18,200' on Tues. night, summited Coropuna today and returned to the car at the end of the road, drove on to Cotahuasi this evening for a rest day. Vic
Last edited by Vic Hanson on Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:09 am

Nice.

Any plans to add Pichu Pichu to SP? I wish we got to that one. We did climb the sandslide there on our way back from Ubinas.

Anyway, my son wants to go back and climb Coropuna. It will be a while though. :wink:

I'm going to add Cerani and some of the Andagua volcanoes to SP soon.

The Casiri and Chila group looks like some really nice mountains. Any plans to climb those?

The Lower Marmot

by The Lower Marmot » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:18 pm

Hey--i just thought that i'd jump in.

i may be trying some of the Casiri/Chila group out next May/June, but i'm not sure that i'll be able to summit anything too significant, but we're at least going to try with a mind to enjoying the area.

If you have any pictures or other beta, i'd love to hear from you, and still can't wait to hear more about your trip.

i'm looking forward to the Cerani page, also.

Keep your eye out for emails... i may be digging for some beta in the coming months. Hopefully i'll be able to add to the volume of more obscure Peruvian mountains next fall quite significantly.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:03 am

If you have any pictures or other beta, i'd love to hear from you, and still can't wait to hear more about your trip.

I have plenty of photos and I'll add two more albums soon. Right now I'm stuck in Denver, so maybe Sunday night or Monday night.

Vic Hanson

by Vic Hanson » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:14 am

Scott wrote:Nice.

Any plans to add Pichu Pichu to SP? I wish we got to that one. We did climb the sandslide there on our way back from Ubinas.

Anyway, my son wants to go back and climb Coropuna. It will be a while though. :wink:

I'm going to add Cerani and some of the Andagua volcanoes to SP soon.

The Casiri and Chila group looks like some really nice mountains. Any plans to climb those?

Thanks, Scott,

I hope to add Pichu Pichu and Ampato to SP as well sent updated route info to the owners of some of the other pages, especially on how to get there and camping info. We drove my van to all of them so have a bunch of first hand info. Ubinas is still erupting, could see it from many of the other peaks. Will be having another attempt at Ampato in January if the weather holds, as well as doing much of the same schedule, with another SPer, hopefully slower this time! No plans for any others at the moment but if someone is interested....

So when are you and Kessler going to do Coropuna? 2 or 3 years!?!?

Vic

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:18 am

So when are you and Kessler going to do Coropuna? 2 or 3 years!?!?

He says "when he is nine", but we'll probably wait longer than that. The reason he uses nine is because that's how old your supposed to be to go rafting the Chili.

Anyway, I don't think I would let him climb a mountain that high until he's at least ten.

Vic Hanson

by Vic Hanson » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:19 am

Scott - Ten sounds like a good age, don't want to wait too long!

We did a "little" peak today, climbed up Volcan Huambo outside of Cotahuasi to the peak on the rim, 17,000' Lucmani. There was another higher mountain just past there that we were aiming for but there was quite a bit of thunder (didn't see any lightning) on the way up Lucmani and about a minute after I summited it was near white out conditions and couldn't even see the other peak about 1/2 mile away. We reluctantly went back down due to the heavy snowfall and still couldn't see the peak when we got back to the car at 13,000'.

Return to South America