Anyone have a garage I can use?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
MarthaP

Anyone have a garage I can use?

by MarthaP » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:42 am

I realize this probably belongs in PnP but this is region-specific.

I need to do about 4 hours work on my car (depending on how long it takes for me to find the vacuum leak) and the idea of crawling under the hood in sub-zero conditions outdoors just isn't even imaginable. So I'm hoping that someone out there in the Denver metro/west area might have a space I can use for a bit.

Okay, so I'm the poster child for procrastination and went past my window of warm opportunity. But I need to do an oil/filter change, replace an ignition coil, replace the brake pads (if they arrive in time), find the vacuum leak, and fix the cable-to-heater box connections so that I have a defrost that actually works.

There's either a sixer of stout or a jar of homemade blackberry jam/loaf of farmer's cheese bread in it for the generous one. And if you like tinkering with cars and stuff, no reasonable offer of assistance will be refused (please don't think I'm asking for help - I can definitely do this on my own). But access to an enclosed garage (heated or not) is pretty critical to my success at this point. And I'm durned tired of staring at the "check engine" light.

TNX,
M

Big Benn

Re: Anyone have a garage I can use?

by Big Benn » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:01 am

MarthaP wrote:I realize this probably belongs in PnP but this is region-specific.

I need to do about 4 hours work on my car (depending on how long it takes for me to find the vacuum leak) and the idea of crawling under the hood in sub-zero conditions outdoors just isn't even imaginable. So I'm hoping that someone out there in the Denver metro/west area might have a space I can use for a bit.

Okay, so I'm the poster child for procrastination and went past my window of warm opportunity. But I need to do an oil/filter change, replace an ignition coil, replace the brake pads (if they arrive in time), find the vacuum leak, and fix the cable-to-heater box connections so that I have a defrost that actually works.

There's either a sixer of stout or a jar of homemade blackberry jam/loaf of farmer's cheese bread in it for the generous one. And if you like tinkering with cars and stuff, no reasonable offer of assistance will be refused (please don't think I'm asking for help - I can definitely do this on my own). But access to an enclosed garage (heated or not) is pretty critical to my success at this point. And I'm durned tired of staring at the "check engine" light.

TNX,
M

You could use my garage Martha, and I'd keep you supplied with cups of tea while you worked! And cook you my own version of lasagna afterwards. But the UK is rather long way for you to bring your car. :cry:

SP'ers are famous for helping each other out, I know that more than most. There must be someone out there close by who can help our Martha.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:35 am

Drive out to Henderson, and you can do it in my garage. But if it leaks oil, you can do it on the street in front of my house. At least it is NEVER sub-zero here; it's 40s and 50s in winter instead.

You sure did pick a bad time of year to get on the car repair. Average highs don't hit 60F here again until the end of January.

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:09 pm

Thanks, BB & DH. It seems we have a heat wave coming through - a high of 19 today! :lol:

Bryan, you'll just need to come to the States and make tea in my kitchen...

Doesn't leak oil, but it is pulling through the air system and if I don't fix it the catalytic converter will all go to hell. That's not a cheap repair.

Worst case scenario I bring it to the shop, have the boys change out the igntion coil and fix the heater then I can deal with the rest later. Like in July maybe. :wink:

DudeThatMustHurt

by DudeThatMustHurt » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:54 pm

Might be able to let you use my dads, if I don't work a day this week or next I'll give you a call

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:42 pm

Thanks, Dude!

If I can get it started - it's so cold the battery is dead. Guess I'll be seeing the Interstate dealer today.... :lol:

Pivvay

by Pivvay » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:44 pm

If Westminster is close for you you're welcome to work on it here. I think you have my email from before. No heater but the garage is insulated.

I remember fixing my old daily driver laying on my back in the parking lot snow in the dark before...shudder. I don't wish that on anyone :)

MarthaP

by MarthaP » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:46 am

Hey Piv and PDBT - been so busy with other stuff I've put the car thing on the backburner. Piv, I really appreciate your offer and will take you up on that. I'll be in touch soon.

Pivvay

by Pivvay » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:20 pm

Martha,

I'll be here thru Thursday afternoon and then I'll be in Ouray for the weekend. My wife will still be here though if you need the garage then. Make sure to email in that case as she won't check SP but she will see my emails when I'm gone.

Return to Colorado