Anyone snowboard in their doubles?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
divnamite

Anyone snowboard in their doubles?

by divnamite » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:55 pm

I'm thinking about buying a nice new pair of mountaineering boots (phantom/spantik/whatever). I'm thinking about using them for snowboarding. Since my board has strap style binding, I figure they should work fine. Just wondering if anyone else does it or is it a crappy idea?

outofstep80

by outofstep80 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:15 pm

I think it depends on the boot. I was hoping to do this when I bought my new mountaineering boots but they do not come up high enough for me to be comfortable with them. I like to have a lot of support though.

I would wait till you have your new boots and see how they feel when you put your board on before you sell your snowboarding boots.

nartreb

by nartreb » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:22 pm

When I learned to snowboard, I couldn't afford snowboarding boots after shelling out $80 for a used board. So I wore my uninsulated leather workboots for a couple of seasons. Worked fine once I shortened the straps, though not very comfortable. Doubles would be positively luxurious by comparison.

Edited to add: you do have to learn to balance a little differently - the position of the board relative your feet is a little different because the position of the foot within the boot is a little different. In particular, snowboarding boots keep your feet higher up off the board, and their soles are shaped to keep a gap under your toes where they protrude over the toe-side. You want to watch out that you don't accidentally catch your toes on the snow when using hiking boots, where the soles just come straight down from the tips of the toes.
Last edited by nartreb on Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:52 pm

Currently ride my split in ICE 9000s. Works good, just need a booster strap on front foot for descent. Just picked up a pair of Spantiks and will give them a go in a couple of weeks...if the storms would start stacking up and winter would shift into gear.

divnamite

by divnamite » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:01 pm

outofstep80 wrote:I think it depends on the boot. I was hoping to do this when I bought my new mountaineering boots but they do not come up high enough for me to be comfortable with them. I like to have a lot of support though.

That's how I feel right now, my snowboard boots definitely have more comfort.

nartreb wrote:When I learned to snowboard, I couldn't afford snowboarding boots after shelling out $80 for a used board. So I wore my uninsulated leather workboots for a couple of seasons. Worked fine once I shortened the straps, though not very comfortable. Doubles would be positively luxurious by comparison.

Wow, that's hardcore. I can't imagine boarding in my singles! Gotta be super painful!

96avs01 wrote:Currently ride my split in ICE 9000s. Works good, just need a booster strap on front foot for descent. Just picked up a pair of Spantiks and will give them a go in a couple of weeks...if the storms would start stacking up and winter would shift into gear.

Never splitboard, I tho they have different binding style? What's a booster strap on front?

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:42 pm

I remember back in the late 80s, early 90s you used to see plenty of snowboarders using Koflach Arctis Expedition, the fluro yellow ones. They were pretty stiff in the ankle/shin though, compared to most double boots, but seemed to work fine.

I remember the first time I saw actual dedicated snowboarding boots and thought, "Huh, this snow-boarding thing might take off after all ..."

D

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:40 am

A borrowed pair of Koflach Degre's didn't fit my Burton Freestyle bindings. The Degre's were too wide at the ankle for my bindings. It was close though.

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:02 am

divnamite wrote:
96avs01 wrote:Currently ride my split in ICE 9000s. Works good, just need a booster strap on front foot for descent. Just picked up a pair of Spantiks and will give them a go in a couple of weeks...if the storms would start stacking up and winter would shift into gear.

Never splitboard, I tho they have different binding style? What's a booster strap on front?

Splits can use a variety of binding options. I use a Spark baseplate with Bent Metal highback and Burton straps...so essentially identical to a standard in-bounds strap binder.

A booster strap is a ski strap/velcro strap that you pass through a hole(s) in your highback and around the upper ankle portion of the front foot boot and tighten. Helps add responsive to compensate for the added flex of a mountaineering boot versus a dedicated stiff snowboard boot (e.g. Driver X or Malamute).[/img]

OJ Loenneker

by OJ Loenneker » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:21 am

I have used my Koflach plastics, and my Nepal Extremes. For me they seemed to lack in the performance area compared to regular soft snowboarding boots. I rode in those Mountaineering boots out of compromise because I found it hard to get crampons to mount on regular snowboarding boots.

But I found that when I switched to a AT boot, I got the best of both worlds. I ride with a plate type of binding that accepts a ski boot. The AT boots I have (Scarpa Denali) have a walk mode and a real vibram sole with rocker, so thy climb and hike pretty good.

Captain Beefheart

by Captain Beefheart » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:09 pm

Have you guys had any durability issues with the Spark baseplate? I was thinking of upgrading.

welle

by welle » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:16 pm

While it sounds tempting, I find two problems riding in your mountaineering boots:

1. Top of the line snowboarding boots are $300 tops, on sale $200 or less. Mountaineering boots go for $500 for up to $700. I'd rather save my mountaineering boots for what they're intended for.

2. Mountaineering boots are usually sized up, snowboarding boots sized down - there will be a tremendous heel lift and no toe edge sensibility. Basically riding would suck!

Newer snowboard boots are super-light and have a small form factor, I don't mind carrying them up if I have to. Carrying down your mountaineering boots in a pack would be more burdensome, but I would rather have a better control of my board and have fun on a ride down. FYI, I ride steeps and bumps and trees here on the Ice Coast, so edge control is extremely important to me.

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:10 pm

Captain Beefheart wrote:Have you guys had any durability issues with the Spark baseplate? I was thinking of upgrading.

Heard of 1 or 2 failures on the Ignitions, but that should be eliminated by the new Fuse baseplates. Pull the trigger and rock some Sparks...ftw :twisted:

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:37 pm

welle wrote:While it sounds tempting, I find two problems riding in your mountaineering boots:

1. Top of the line snowboarding boots are $300 tops, on sale $200 or less. Mountaineering boots go for $500 for up to $700. I'd rather save my mountaineering boots for what they're intended for.

2. Mountaineering boots are usually sized up, snowboarding boots sized down - there will be a tremendous heel lift and no toe edge sensibility. Basically riding would suck!

Newer snowboard boots are super-light and have a small form factor, I don't mind carrying them up if I have to. Carrying down your mountaineering boots in a pack would be more burdensome, but I would rather have a better control of my board and have fun on a ride down. FYI, I ride steeps and bumps and trees here on the Ice Coast, so edge control is extremely important to me.

Image I will address both of your points:

1. Agreed that the price issue is valid. Though snowboarding/splitboarding isn't going to trash out your mountaineering boots. Most of the time is spent on snow either skinning or snowshoeing not on an abrasive surface.

2. This is dependent on the individual. I learned to slide in snowboard boots that were sized similar to mountaineering boots. No problems with this approach in terms of performance. Have since switched to a more 'conventionally' sized boot for in-bounds outings, and I personally don't care for it and will switch back soon. You can eliminate heel lift in most any boot with certain lacing techniques. I have never had a problem with heel lift in mountaineering boots while climbing or riding. If you have never tried to slide in your mountaineering boots you shouldn't make that statement. I have no problem sliding a steep n crunchy coulie or tight trees with my split and ICE 9000s.

The only time I would ever consider carrying boots would be for late spring outings where you might have a substantial approach better served by trail runners. I would never carry a pair of boots while wearing another pair of boots, without even considering how much larger a pack would be needed to accommodate them.

Note that what works for one may not work for all, but you can't dismiss sliding in mountaineering boots if you have never tried it!

FWIW, I just got a deal on a pair of Spantiks. I think they will perform even better than my ICE 9000s and may even be stiff enough (flex similar to Driver X or Malamute) with enough forward lean to use them without strap bindings. Will have to wait for some snow to find out fo sho.

welle

by welle » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:23 pm

Hey, I got a good deal on Spantiks too - I will try sliding in them on a mellower run, but I heard the lacing system on these is prone to breaking fast.

I learned like all beginners do in comfier sized up boots, but once you start riding aggressive you need the tightest boots you can find, IMO. Like I said I ride the ice of the East Coast. I also have hopelessly low-volume heels, even in La Sportivas that have narrowest lasts my heels are swimming!

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:44 pm

welle wrote:Spantiks - but I heard the lacing system on these is prone to breaking fast.

Already replaced mine with Sierra Lace, which I have found to be quite durable, and will carry the thinner Sportiva laces as backups. Note that the thicker Sierra laces require you to use two hands to lock the lower boot tension clip.

welle wrote:but once you start riding aggressive you need the tightest boots you can find, IMO.

I personally avoid tight boots due to poor circulation in my toes and I hate having my toes smashed against the end of the boots on approach and only feeling the boots fit properly on descent. This may work in-bounds, but I can't justify the discomfort for backcountry endeavors.

Return to Gear