Aron Ralston Movie - 127 Hours

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Buz Groshong

Re: Aron Ralston Movie - 127 Hours

by Buz Groshong » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:30 pm

mtndonkey wrote:I came away with the same impression as Buz. I don't know Aaron personally and think he did an incredible job at surviving and rescuing himself from an accident, however the picture painted of him throughout the entire book was of someone with reckless tendencies waiting for an accident to happen. The accident when he got his arm stuck was just dumb luck compounded by people not knowing where he was. It doesn't seem like the accident was caused by him being reckless, but it seemed inevitable something would happen to him over his lifetime based on his pattern of decision making.

Totally agree. And those who criticize us for viewing him as "reckless" should realize that we are getting that from the book he wrote about hmself, not from something someone else wrote about what he did.

drpw

by drpw » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:38 pm

Dow Williams wrote:I always find it fascinating, almost surreal in a way, when the talking heads of SP bring about someone you know personally, bash or praise them about in forums as though they have any clue what they are talking about.

Well, the guy did write a lengthy book about himself and his experience. He has also now had a movie made about the same.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:36 pm

mtndonkey wrote:The accident when he got his arm stuck was just dumb luck compounded by people not knowing where he was.

Agreed. Personally, I do not like the thought of technical canyoneering solo. That's my personal choice, of course. Some people would; I would not.

But I would solo canyoneer in non-technical (walk and easy scramble) canyons. Most people probably would. So it's interesting to note that the specific place in which Aron got trapped was non-technical. In that route, there are places before and after that require either gear or good downclimbing skills, but where the rock fell was a simple walk and easy-scramble section. Ironic, perhaps.

jspeigl

by jspeigl » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:51 am

Wow. Kudos to the production company. After watching the new trailer, I really want to see this movie.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:33 pm

Bad movies CAN come from good directors, I suppose. But that's not the typical case. So considering the fact that Danny Boyle won an Oscar for his recent work in Slumdog Millionaire, the 127 Hours movie is more likely to be good than crap. No guarantees, of course.

All that is without knowing cp0915's assessment. With it, I am personally convinced the movie is going to be good.

But I haven't been to a theater since the mid-1990s, and I have no plans to go for this or any other movie. So I might get the DVD if I don't want to wait for it to come out on cable.

jspeigl

by jspeigl » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:56 pm

The movie people are having a contest for a First Ascent backpack and other gear. They're calling it "127 Defining Moments". Certainly there are some Summitposters that have already written about their life changing moments. Check it out:

http://www.127definingmoments.com/#/viewAll?ti=0

Edit: They're looking for photos, videos, and an essay; like a trip report.

timd

Re:

by timd » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:48 am

I think the thing that put me off - a picture of Aaron with an ice axe fixed to his arm, but knowing the dude didn't ice climb. That sorta stuck with me and bugged me.

DMT[/quote]

Actually my wife and I ran into him at the ice park a couple years back while climbing in the School Room. We had a chance to chat with him for a while before he resumed climbing and he is quite impressive with that ice tool prosthesis.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:24 pm

Fletch wrote:his acting was absolutely incredible. Well done. Cinematography was good. Three stars from me.

This thread is convincing me it might actually be worth heading to the theater and actually seeing a movie before it comes out on cable.

Fletch wrote:I can't stand Franco (I think he is an ass)

I can't say whether he is or isn't an ass, and I don't understand how anyone who doesn't know him personally could make such an evaluation. So how do you know this? Do you read People magazine or Cosmo? Or do you get stuck watching Entertainment television (or whatever it's called) with the wife? :lol:

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:48 pm

Gee, I've heard from people who know him that he is actually a nice guy.

Some of the responses on this thread make me think of the treatment of Everest climber who saved the kitten.

"In 2008, he solo-climbed Denali and skiied from the 20,320' summit." (from Wikipedia)

"127 Hours met with critical acclaim. Review aggregate Rotten Tomatoes reports that 93% of critics have given the film a positive review based on 69 reviews, with an average score of 8.4/10, and a 100% rating under "Top Critics" based on 20 reviews. The Rotten Tomatoes consensus is 'As gut-wrenching as it is inspirational, 127 Hours unites one of Danny Boyle's most beautifully exuberant directorial efforts with a terrific performance from James Franco.' [16] Richard Roeper of the Chicago Sun Times gave the film an 'A' and said he believed Franco deserved an Oscar Nomination for his perfomance, as well as calling the film 'one of the best of the year'." (from Wikipedia)

Tonka

by Tonka » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:29 pm

drtbg wrote:Ralston was/is a self centered, egotistical, careless and yes even reckless, douche bag with more luck than a cat. I've read his book (or all of it that I could stomach). It bored me to death and I found it to be even more self aggrandizing than most adventure literature and much more poorly written. Good on him for chopping his arm off with a rusty leatherman. I once had a dog that chewed it's foot off just above the ankle because it got caught in a poachers trap. We just had the rest of the leg amputated rather than having her fitted with and ice axe since she was never much of a climber anyway and the rest of the bum leg just slowed her down. Lets all get on the bandwagon and show a little misplaced hero worship for someone who had the same stoic resolve as my dog, and just enough brains to capitalize on their completely avoidable epic by shoveling this shit down the general public's throat and calling it adventure. It's not adventure it's stupidity.

Couldn't agree with Dingus more. When I saw the ice axe arm I just about puked. What a douche bag. Story would have been much more interesting had he gone the way of McCandless http://f-ckingc-nts.com/people/10-true- ... ccandless/ or Treadwell http://www.katmaibears.com/timothytreadwell.htm

You have every right to your opinion but so do I. YOU SUCK :evil:

He was there, doing it, out, active, exercising and you are calling him out. Post a pick of yourself cutting off a limb and I'll give you some respect.

Augie Medina

by Augie Medina » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:08 pm

Read his book and saw the movie a few hours ago. Liked the movie better; kind of intense; the music throbs. I thought the main actor Franco did a great job. If you've ever had a huge boulder roll toward you you'll bond with that particular moment in the movie real quick. Amputation technique was a little different than I expected. Never been in that canyon but blue water scene seemed out of place. Sure, it's a movie for large commercial distribution with lots of dramatic license, but the point does come through that it was quite an ordeal and, for some, it would have been easier just to wither and die rather than to snap bones and shred through muscle, fat and nerves with a cheap dull multi-tool thingy.

Rick Kent

by Rick Kent » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:13 am

I met Aron on Denali a couple years ago. Only got to talk to him for a few minutes but he seemed like a real nice guy and didn't seem egotistic. I agree the book may make it sound like he was rather careless but I'd like to know him better before I condemn him like some of you seem to do so easily. I don't get the impression he is starving for media attention. I think he just has a story that many people find interesting. I think it's pretty heartless to belittle someone cutting a limb off. That's pretty harsh. The analogy that he is like a dog that chews a leg off ... well maybe that's not a bad one. Both clearly had a very basic will to survive. How many of us could dig that deep to do the same?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:27 am

drtbg wrote:All I do is sit at home and eat oreo's and spray on teh interwebs?

Don't know about the oreo part.

timd

by timd » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:50 am

Tonka wrote:He was there, doing it, out, active, exercising and you are calling him out. Post a pick of yourself cutting off a limb and I'll give you some respect.

All I do is sit at home and eat oreo's and spray on teh interwebs?

prolly..And I must say you have to go visit the the folks at Ute Mountaineer in Aspen where he worked up until his accident. Spray this shit you are spreading in this thread to them. I'd pay money to their reaction.

NW

by NW » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:52 pm

I think I'll give the movie a try. I only read exerts from the book, not the whole thing, I've never come across it. I found the part about him cutting off his arm quite believable, I mean what was going on in his mind at that point was understandable, didn't seem overly exaggerative. Like how people can change things that happened after they've been away from the incident for awhile. I wonder how well the movie will do at showing how he basically removed himself from the reality of his situation while performing the grisly task. Of course it will be visual while the book left it abit to the imagining but sometimes that's more effective. I'm sure for the average person who goes to see it. it will do nothing to lessen the overall opinion that rock climbing/mountaineering/ going outside at all is far to dangerous and people that do it are unbalanced.

PreviousNext

Return to General