Assessment and selection of the weather forecast provider

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Jake

Assessment and selection of the weather forecast provider

by Jake » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:57 pm

How do we approach this? The situation is very different if you want to climb in the European Alps and when you are going to remote part of the Andes or Tajikistan.

I have read an article in the past explaining how different weather forecast providers use different approaches and techniques to provide forecast for specific regions and altitudes. It mentioned that some were not accurate enough (grid density etc) and therefore high risk to use really. Surprisingly one of my 'favourite' websites was there as not too good!

I'm not an expert but if someone is it would be good to understand how to select source of the information to be successful and safe. I'd appreciate advice or even link to some reputable sources.

Thanks

seano

Re: Assessment and selection of the weather forecast provide

by seano » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:46 pm

I used to look at mountain-forecast.com, but they seem pretty useless. These days I find windy.com to be the most useful, because they offer data from several models:

• Europe's ECMWF, probably the best general model.
  • NOAA's GFS, which has somewhat lower resolution.
  • Meteoblue's NEMS, which has higher resolution over mountains in some regions.

I tend to compare the different models, and trust them more if the forecasts agree.

The following user would like to thank seano for this post
Jake

Return to General