Banning

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
goldenhopper

Re: Banning

by goldenhopper » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:27 am

lcarreau wrote:YEP, YOU'S GUYS ARE TAKING THIS SHIT WAAAAAAAAAY TOO SERIOUSLY ...

Fixed that for you Larry...

The following user would like to thank goldenhopper for this post
lcarreau

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:09 am

The Chief wrote:This is a way DUMBASS Thread... that comes from the one SP Member that most assuredly holds the record for being banned the most.

Am I proud for having that record, I could give a ratass. I have a habit of saying what is on my mind in a most direct fashion. Does it bother me, no!

(Most of those bannings were for telling folks to FO... in the most direct fashion possible. Had it been in person, they would certainly have remembered that directness for the rest of their lives, fact! Those that know me in person, know that is true statement. Does it matter... do I look like I care what you think?)

Hey Chief I think you're mixing apple and oranges. Like you, I'm sure there are many that say exactly what they think and so be it. If they get banned so be it AND they know it's coming. My suggestion is the elves aren't right ALL the time and for those less vocal than you who feel they've been wronged, well no recourse? I feel I'm a pretty good example, I've done nothing that I know of that should cause the Elves to ban me. BUT if I found out I was ---BS. And when you look forwards to some of the SPers and their input and they're gone but we don't know why.... well guess we can't question that. Although DaveK says they all know and have had the opportunity to respond and they know it's coming.

DaveK though did speak to this and to an extent, do agree.....God I'm so confused :shock: :?

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:36 am

Marmaduke wrote:Hey Chief I think you're mixing apple and oranges. Like you, I'm sure there are many that say exactly what they think and so be it. If they get banned so be it AND they know it's coming. My suggestion is the elves aren't right ALL the time and for those less vocal than you who feel they've been wronged, well no recourse? I feel I'm a pretty good example, I've done nothing that I know of that should cause the Elves to ban me. BUT if I found out I was ---BS. And when you look forwards to some of the SPers and their input and they're gone but we don't know why.... well guess we can't question that. Although DaveK says they all know and have had the opportunity to respond and they know it's coming.

DaveK though did speak to this and to an extent, do agree.....God I'm so confused :shock: :?

Let's put SP into a realistic perspective, especially OR, it is not a democracy.

The Elves, right or wrong, have the authority to do as they damn well wish... period.

In most cases, a warning shot will fired from any one of the Elves to any individual that they may see as pushing the Rules and Regs. If that individual does not comply, them boom, one shot one kill. That is the way it is here.

If at any time one feels that they are pushing the envelope on the R&R's, that they are potentially misbehaving, than I strongly recommend one cease and dissest immediately. If one has any questions as to whether or not they may be doing so, I again strongly recommend one PM the Elves and ask for their opinion as to whether or not they are doing so and where they stand. Remember that and all will be well.

The following user would like to thank The Chief for this post
Buz Groshong, Marmaduke

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:27 am

The Chief wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:Hey Chief I think you're mixing apple and oranges. Like you, I'm sure there are many that say exactly what they think and so be it. If they get banned so be it AND they know it's coming. My suggestion is the elves aren't right ALL the time and for those less vocal than you who feel they've been wronged, well no recourse? I feel I'm a pretty good example, I've done nothing that I know of that should cause the Elves to ban me. BUT if I found out I was ---BS. And when you look forwards to some of the SPers and their input and they're gone but we don't know why.... well guess we can't question that. Although DaveK says they all know and have had the opportunity to respond and they know it's coming.

Let's put SP into a realistic perspective, especially OR, it is not a democracy.

The Elves, right or wrong, have the authority to do as they damn well wish... period.

In most cases, a warning shot will fired from any one of the Elves to any individual that they may see as pushing the Rules and Regs. If that individual does not comply, them boom, one shot one kill. That is the way it is here.

If at any time one feels that they are pushing the envelope on the R&R's, that they are potentially misbehaving, than I strongly recommend one cease and dissest immediately. If one has any questions as to whether or not they may be doing so, I again strongly recommend one PM the Elves and ask for their opinion as to whether or not they are doing so and where they stand. Remember that and all will be well.

Thanks Chief, can't argue with what you have posted. Like DaveK makes sense. The one question that still remains, regardless that SP is private and not a democracy, have the Elves been right each time they banned you? Have they been correct each time they made this decision with others? Likely not but I guess it doesn't matter. The rules are what they are live by them or break them and deal with the consequeneces.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:23 pm

Marmaduke wrote:The one question that still remains, regardless that SP is private and not a democracy, have the Elves been right each time they banned you? Have they been correct each time they made this decision with others? Likely not but I guess it doesn't matter. The rules are what they are live by them or break them and deal with the consequeneces.

Whether a particular decision is right is entirely subjective and often colored by friendships and personal outlooks.

Over my years here before being an elf, I saw a number of bannings and deletions. Some I thought were justified, and some I thought weren't. There were a few I thought lasted too long and some I thought weren't long enough. There were also people I thought should have banned or deleted but weren't. My opinion.

There were times that people I liked were banned, and that sometimes upset and frustrated me, so I understand where you're coming from. At the same time, there were people entirely supportive of those bannings, and their point of view was no more or less legitimate than mine. To a person who has been harassed repeatedly, nothing short of permanent banning or deletion is enough. To friends of the banned and to those who think it's all a game and that everyone should just lighten up and it's the Internet, after all, a banning in almost any circumstance is ridiculous. In between is the vast majority, divided into two basic camps: those who appreciate that the management has to strike a balance and make hard calls, and those (probably most forum users) who just don't care about the drama as long as it doesn't intrude on their use of the site.

Sometimes, after discussion with the banned member or among themselves, the elves do shorten or lift a ban. And often, considerable discussion goes on before a banning; it is not some rogue elf going on a vendetta.

That's all I have to add. Anything else I would say has already been covered, and very well, by Dave K and twoshuzz.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
Marmaduke

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:34 pm

The Chief wrote:This is a way DUMBASS Thread... that comes from the one SP Member that most assuredly holds the record for being banned the most.

Am I proud for having that record, I could give a ratass. I have a habit of saying what is on my mind in a most direct fashion. Does it bother me, no!

(Most of those bannings were for telling folks to FO... in the most direct fashion possible. Had it been in person, they would certainly have remembered that directness for the rest of their lives, fact! Those that know me in person, know that is true statement. Does it matter... do I look like I care what you think?)

Do we look like we care what you think?

BeDrinkable

by BeDrinkable » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:53 pm

Over the years I have seen people banned for small and large transgressions, personal attacks, slow constant poking. But I do not recall anyone being banned without sufficient warning. I may disagree with punishment, but it has always been clear to everyone (including the banee, especially the banee) that they were walking right up to the edge.

And (I'm sure I'm not the first to note this) banning is hardly a permanent state. Hell, Chief just mentioned that he's been banned more times than we can count!

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:01 pm

Buz Groshong wrote:Do we look like we care what you think?

YUP... you took the time to read and then actually respond to my post. HA!

no avatar
Dave K
Forum Moderator

by Dave K » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:45 pm

sjarelkwint wrote:Still want to know based on what some recent bannings have been done?
Why is krostoria banned? Based on the fact she is friends with squishy and tox or is there anything else involved?
She had a kickass tripreport and it got deleted by the elves ... based on?

It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business...

The following user would like to thank Dave K for this post
Ejnar Fjerdingstad

JasonH

by JasonH » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:31 pm

Dave K wrote:
sjarelkwint wrote:Still want to know based on what some recent bannings have been done?
Why is krostoria banned? Based on the fact she is friends with squishy and tox or is there anything else involved?
She had a kickass tripreport and it got deleted by the elves ... based on?

It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business. It's none of your business...

That wasn't very cryptic.
I have a demon in me - Stu

Lolli

by Lolli » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:28 pm

:lol:
Hey, I was just drinking coffee!!!
You can't do that!
Age is a matter of mind and if you don´t mind it does not matter!

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:39 pm

Lolli wrote::lol:
You can't do that!

But you had 2 shots of whiskey in your coffee, therein lies the problem.

Lolli

by Lolli » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:16 pm

Marmaduke wrote:
You can't do that!

<<shudder>>
destroying perfectly good coffee with that nasty brown stuff....
you've gotta be out of your mind.

The following user would like to thank Lolli for this post
JasonH

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:01 pm

Lolli wrote:
Marmaduke wrote:
You can't do that!

<<shudder>>
destroying perfectly good coffee with that nasty brown stuff....
you've gotta be out of your mind.

Well normally I wouldn't ruin my morning coffee with the "brown stuff" but while the sun sets, watching it snow, by the fire with my wife....yes! An Irish Coffee is exactly what the doctor ordered. Wait! This could go in the "Happy Thoughts/Mood Thread"

Lolli

by Lolli » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:21 pm

:-)
Yes it should!

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback