BD pro-straps

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Ben Beckerich

BD pro-straps

by Ben Beckerich » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:32 pm

howdy

just wondering what experiences you guys have had with BD pro-straps. any problems? what do you like/dislike about them? my new cyborgs have pro-straps, and i had a bit of trouble getting them to stay on my Mirages 800' up a 70* slope the other day.. was sort of disconcerting. i probably just need to adjust the toe-bale, but i gotta tell you- i'm scared to use them again.
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

JHH60

Re: BD pro-straps

by JHH60 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:01 am

I have relatively new (bought last year) Cyborg Pro step ins and have had no problems with them staying on. The toe bail and heel leverlock are what keep the crampon on your boot; the straps are there as backup, to keep you from losing them if for some reason one should pop off. If the crampons are adjusted properly that should be unlikely, though note that not every crampon fits every boot well.

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:50 am

i figured out my problem- due to another thread here in the gear forum, i did a little research and discovered the pro-straps are probably the last type of toe-bale i want for these boots. never realized there was a difference between hinged step-in crampons- i figured hinged meant semi-rigid and that was all there was to it.

i get to live and learn this time... :-D the pro-straps will be relegated to my invernos, which they seem to fit perfectly

JHH60

by JHH60 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:06 pm

I just looked up Scarpa Mirages and it looks like they aren't step-in compatible. The Cyborg Pro clip model (hybrid) should work fine. It also looks like Grivel GSB crampons would work (never tried that system but it seems like a good idea).

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:24 pm

here we go with the nomenclature again...

the mirages have a heal welt- they'll take "step-in," but apparently WON'T take "full automatic" step-ins.

i almost got some GSB pons to go with them, but they were $250 and i was a little concerned about the slot getting filled with shit and having it be a pain in the ass to put them on.. lo and behold, the slots are currently PACKED with volcanic pebbles that im simply not going to waste hours digging out. so the GSB is out... which is good, 'cause i'd hate to be locked into buying another GSB boot just because thats the 'pons i have.

i'll just go back to "clips" (semi-automatic) with this boot..

JHH60

by JHH60 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:49 pm

I've only heard "step in" refer to crampons with wire toe bails that fit over a toe welt/ledge in the front and lever locks in the back. People usually refer to crampons with plastic baskets in the front and lever locks in the back, which fit boots with a ledge in the heel (but may or may not have a ledge in toe) as "hybrid". That said BD doesn't use the term "step in" so I should have said "not compatible with wire toe bails".

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:57 pm

JHH60 wrote:I've only heard "step in" refer to crampons with wire toe bails that fit over a toe welt/ledge in the front and lever locks in the back. People usually refer to crampons with plastic baskets in the front and lever locks in the back, which fit boots with a ledge in the heel (but may or may not have a ledge in toe) as "hybrid". That said BD doesn't use the term "step in" so I should have said "not compatible with wire toe bails".

indeed.. considering i didn't even really realize there was a difference between the two types of lever-locks, i probably shouldn't be arguing with anyone.

im pretty sure i told the guy that talked me into the pro-straps what boot i had... he just said i'd get a lot cleaner, deeper stabs with my front points, and that sounded good to me, so i went with the pros. i'm sure they'll be great with my plastiques. as it was, they worked fine with my mirages, up until i was aggressively kicking in steps for my partner, who had NO crampons (long story...). otherwise, my front points were gliding into the ice and holding me just fine.

Return to Gear