Bear spray?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
BobSmith

Bear spray?

by BobSmith » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:18 pm

Since I'm going to be hiking in Yellowstone with my son, I'll need to pick up bear spray before we get to the park. We're flying in to Salt Lake City and driving through to West Yellowstone the day before we enter the park. I can't take such items on the plane, so will I have any trouble finding a place to buy it between Salt Lake and West Yellowstone?

Michael Hoyt

by Michael Hoyt » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:36 pm

Bob,

Half the stores in West Yellowstone carry bear spray, but probably not at the world's lowest price. You could always stop at the REI store in Salt Lake to get a "true" retail price, but I think it's south of the airport. You're probably better off waiting until you reach West Yellowstone unless you happen to pass (and notice) a nice sporting goods store somewhere along the way -- maybe in Idaho Falls.

Mike

Norman

Bears in Yellowstone

by Norman » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:37 pm

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:54 pm

Bob, for several years now, I've packed bear spay in my checked baggage. No confiscations, and no exploded planes. As far as incendiary fears go, it's probably less dangerous than hair spray.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

Re: Bears in Yellowstone

by Bob Sihler » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:58 pm

And if this is accurate, it seems the bear should not have been killed and that humans, though not the victim, were responsible for the attack: http://www.examiner.com/x-53313-Bear-Attack-Examiner~y2010m7d29-Poor-excuse-for-killing-grizzly-bear

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:04 pm

Bob S is probably right about the dangers on planes, but hair spray is also prohibited. FWIW.

The in-park price is about $80. The REI price is about $40. Your mission is clear.

b.

by b. » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:09 pm

A new attack yesterday left two injured and one dead. The Soda Butte campground in Cooke City is closed and they are tracking the bear. I would get the Bear Spray in Utah. You could probably find a place that isn't out of the way, like REI with a quick google search and maybe a phone call. Idaho Falls is another good suggestion. I've had those things explode while in storage over the winter, so I wouldn't put it in my luggage just for that reason.

welle

by welle » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:12 pm

A backcountry ranger at the Colter Bay entrance of GTNP lent us a couple of spray canisters couple years back. Visiting hikers who couldn't take the spray on the plane left them with her, maybe it would be worth checking.

mfox79

by mfox79 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:08 pm

You can buy Bear Spray in Idaho Falls at Idaho Mountain Trading in down town I.F. also at Sportsman's Warehouse on Hitt road. I believe they are in the range of $35.00 a canister. if you need directions let me know. hope that helps and you have a fun trip.

builttospill

by builttospill » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:40 pm

The REI in SAlt Lake is south and east of the airport, but it's not a significant drive. ~15 or 20 minutes to get there.

Doublecabin

by Doublecabin » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:12 pm

Sports Authority and KMART are also reasonably priced in Jackson.

BobSmith

by BobSmith » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:38 pm

mfox79 wrote:You can buy Bear Spray in Idaho Falls at Idaho Mountain Trading in down town I.F. also at Sportsman's Warehouse on Hitt road. I believe they are in the range of $35.00 a canister. if you need directions let me know. hope that helps and you have a fun trip.

That sounds good! Send me directions or post 'em here! Thanks!

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:47 am

Bob, I missed the part that you needed to pick up spray, so forget about my advice concerning taking it with you going out there. It's easier to buy it out there.

Definitely get some well away from the park even if it means going out of your way a bit. In places by Yellowstone, I have seen the spray sold for $65. That was for the extra-large canister, but still.

On the way back, I still think you should pack it in your checked luggage. I always wrap mine well and pack it around things that I won't care too much about if the can does leak or rupture. Those canisters aren't cheap, and I never liked leaving them behind when I did. Plus, I keep them in my car in case I have to deal with road rage around here!

no avatar
foweyman

by foweyman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:57 am

This is how they collect bear spray

mrh

Re: Bears in Yellowstone

by mrh » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:10 am

Bob Sihler wrote:

And if this is accurate, it seems the bear should not have been killed and that humans, though not the victim, were responsible for the attack: http://www.examiner.com/x-53313-Bear-Attack-Examiner~y2010m7d29-Poor-excuse-for-killing-grizzly-bear

There is a lot more to this story. I don't know if the bear should have been killed, but the attack was largely the fault of the victim. They had been trapping and collaring bears in the area for a month. They had signs warning people. This happened on the last day soon after the trappers had cleared out and pulled down the signs. The victim wasn't an innocent who happened to walk up there after the signs were gone. He had watched the trappers go by for a month and according to family and friends was very curious about the operation. A noted bear expert was his friend directly told him to stay away from the area. He went up anyway. Judging from the time the trappers left the bear and when the coroner said the attack would have happened, its apparent the victim walked up on a bear who was fully awake, but was still drugged. Its not good to surprise a bear, but especially one on drugs who has just had an unpleasant experience with humans. They should have left the signs up longer, perhaps a few days. There is a big investigation and I'm sure that will be a change made. But the victim knew he shouldn't be there and had been told specifically not to walk up there. His family described him a "bull headed".

I read the official report on this including the written statements of all involved. It was a huge report and I don't think I have it anymore, but if anyone wants to read it, I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: The report I mentioned or one very similar to it is provided by linc in the article given above.

Next

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)