Best Job Opportunity ever!

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Tie-Dye Mike

Best Job Opportunity ever!

by Tie-Dye Mike » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:19 am

LithiumMetalman

Sweet!

by LithiumMetalman » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:13 am

Sweet!!!!!

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:06 pm

Dammit. If it weren't for the time I spend at my real job I'd be qualified. Oh well.

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:51 pm

Good lord. But I'm five years too late!

isostatic

by isostatic » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:53 am

Blakeman wrote:Be advised that there is more to this position than meets the eye.

Responsibilities include checking individuals for their wilderness permits, acting as a Law Enforcement Officer and ensuring that all rules and regs are strictly adhered to and partaking in all SAR evolutions. Many times you may be the first on scene of a very traumatic incident and you will be required to render assistance to anyone in trouble.

So, it essentially entails more than many may be up to.

It's not just going out and doing the climbing deal.

Blakeman wrote:
Blakeman wrote:Be advised that there is more to this position than meets the eye.

Responsibilities include checking individuals for their wilderness permits, acting as a Law Enforcement Officer and ensuring that all rules and regs are strictly adhered to and partaking in all SAR evolutions. Many times you may be the first on scene of a very traumatic incident and you will be required to render assistance to anyone in trouble.

So, it essentially entails more than many may be up to.

It's not just going out and climbing.

Better to use the Edit button instead of the Quote button.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:38 pm

wow, this job sounds sick! Are these jobs hard to get? I can imagine them getting hundreds of applications.

xDoogiex

by xDoogiex » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:07 pm

Super hard! I like the other things they do since I'm not a real good climber let

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:26 pm

True Blake. Being a backcountry ranger can be a tough gig if you don't have the mental make up for it. We ran into a solo backcountry ranger in North Cascades National Park in May 2007. He was on skis and had been out for almost a week scouting potential locations for pit toilets.

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:34 pm

DukeJH wrote:True Blake. Being a backcountry ranger can be a tough gig if you don't have the mental make up for it. We ran into a solo backcountry ranger in North Cascades National Park in May 2007. He was on skis and had been out for almost a week scouting potential locations for pit toilets.

Oh, the horror! Getting paid for a solo week in the backcountry?

The job listing does contain a lot of actual qualifications, which definitely should keep the riff-raff out. Does anyone know how many qualified applicants they'd be likely to get?

dskoon

by dskoon » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:51 pm

Hotoven wrote:wow, this job sounds sick! Are these jobs hard to get? I can imagine them getting hundreds of applications.

From the little bit I know of this, it's your experience(obviously), that counts. Unless your a very hotshit climber but have never worked for the NPS, you probably wouldn't get this job. But, if you meet their qualifications as listed, and you can back it up, even w/out having prior NPS experience, you might have a running chance.
I spoke once with a climbing ranger at the Jenny Lake station in the Tetons. He'd been a seasonal ranger(climbing) in Yosemite before making it full-time in the Tetons.
Like many jobs, but I think especially in the NPS,(from my experience working for them), one has to climb, in this case literally, through the ranks, get known by people in the system, etc. etc.
Having said that, if one possesses the skills, or at least some of them, and has the desire, go for it! Gotta start somewhere. And, yep, skiing solo through the backcountry on a patrol sounds pretty fun to me, though everything can get old. Sounds good right about now, though. . .

Return to General