BEST LIQUID STOVE FOR HIGH ALTITUDE AND VERY COLD

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
ClimbingChic237

BEST LIQUID STOVE FOR HIGH ALTITUDE AND VERY COLD

by ClimbingChic237 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:35 pm

Hi Guys,

Looking for an advice on liquid stoves for high altitude and very, very cold environment (-35F). Simmering is a plus. I am between MSR XGK/Whisperlite and Primus Omnifuel/Omnilite TI. Of course open to other suggestions. I am also curious if anyone tried both Omnifuel and Omnilite Ti in harsh conditions and which one you think is better. Thank you!

…by the way, I know there is section on ‘STOVES’ in the forum but it doesn’t answer my question and seems like people don’t visit that page.

ExcitableBoy

Re: BEST LIQUID STOVE FOR HIGH ALTITUDE AND VERY COLD

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:49 pm

I have used an MSR XGK at altitudes up to 6,000 meters and temperatures as low as -30 F for 25 years. Never had a problem, but I would caution this stove is optimized for melting snow, not simmering or making gourmet meals. I've heard the MSR Dragonfly is better at simmering and I've seen a quite a few parties using them on Denali.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
ClimbingChic237

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:22 pm

Another vote for the MSR Dragonfly International. Never have any issue the past decade. Have replaced the pump a few times from using dirty fuel. Have used all sort of fuel like regular petrol, kerosene & paint thinner. Have used up to 6,500m in Central Asia which is colder than Denali. The simmer option is pretty awesome for cooking. You will want this on a long expedition.

The following user would like to thank kevin trieu for this post
ClimbingChic237

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:21 pm

FWIW, MSR was within walking distance from my office. I had bought a used 15 year old MSR XGK stove that was beat to shit and had a non working pump. I brought it to MSR and asked for the $35 tune up. Dude behind the counter reaches into a box and hands over a brand new stove, pump, bag, wind screen, and maintenance kit. For $35. That is the type of customer service that has made me an MSR fan for over 25 years.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
ClimbingChic237, Norris

Return to Gear