Best Time of Year to Hike Julian Alps

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
lckt13

Best Time of Year to Hike Julian Alps

by lckt13 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:27 pm

Dober Dan! I am a senior solo male hiker and not a climber who is planning a walkabout backpacking the Julian Alps this May. I have been warned that its COLD there in May and best time to hike is July-Sept. I would appreciate your input about this and also would you suggest starting in Bohinj as opposed to Kranjska Gora in May? Havala! 8)

visentin

Re: Best Time of Year to Hike Julian Alps

by visentin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:20 am

Hi !
We did a Triglav 3days hike few years ago :
http://www.summitpost.org/our-tour-on-a ... lav/592430
The time was end of July and the weather was perfect. No idea about May but certainly the snow issue is true. From what I could see on SP of the photos of the area taken in early Autumn it must be the best season for colours. From the weather point of view I think it is quite true too, like most ranges in continental Europe.
All routes are gorgeous their own way, but differently demanding. I hiked from Bohinj and only saw The Soca valley and the north valleys near Kranjska Gora from downside. I think it is more or less like choosing between length and steepness. Since we wanted to see the most of the area and my wife wasn't keen in cumulated elevations flirting +-2000, we did Bohinj and I don't regret. However Kranjska Gora is cetainly more direct. There is also a possibility from the Soca valley, with many possible variants.

Return to Europe