Best time to climb in Ecuador

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
BlueFoxCA

by BlueFoxCA » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:08 pm

I'm not sure specifically, but I know that Mountain Madness runs a mountaineering course in Ecuador in December and in January, so I would guess that's probably the ideal time. I think June/July could be crazy hot there

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:23 pm

I think June/July could be crazy hot there

The temperature is the same year round. It's on the equator. :wink:

Anyway, Dec-Feb is best for the east, but wet in the west ranges. June-August is the best time in the west, but with a short drier spell mid Dec-mid Jan.

It depends on what you are climbing. Dec-Jan are pretty reasonable for both ranges, so it is a good time to go. If you are climbing just the western peaks, June and July are prime, but eastern peaks are very wet there.

Basicially:

June-August are best for Chimborazo, Illinizas, and Carihuairazo. Those peaks are also reasonable for mid December and January and often the weather can be good then.

December through January are best for Altar, Antisana, Sangay, and Cayambe.

Cotopaxi goes well in both seasons.

BlueFoxCA

by BlueFoxCA » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:26 pm

The temperature is the same year round. It's on the equator. :wink:

Good point... my coffee hasn't kicked in yet :P

Woodie Hopper

by Woodie Hopper » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:27 pm

fraggle76 wrote:I'm not sure specifically, but I know that Mountain Madness runs a mountaineering course in Ecuador in December and in January, so I would guess that's probably the ideal time. I think June/July could be crazy hot there

I know that late October through January is pretty good and that you can climb there all year long, but I can't personally comment on our summer months although Chris (Haliku) has just recently been there so you might PM him.

Although precipitation does vary throughout the year there as Ecuador is on the Equator, seasonal differences are not as pronounced as they are here. Also Quito is at about 9300ft.

Woodie

Woodie Hopper

by Woodie Hopper » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:28 pm

Scott- When I was typing this I had a feeling you might beat me to the punch!

Woodie

cbcbd

by cbcbd » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:38 pm

I'd go during our Summer - that way you'd get winter all year round ;)

Haliku

by Haliku » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:17 pm

Woodie Hopper wrote:I know that late October through January is pretty good and that you can climb there all year long, but I can't personally comment on our summer months although Chris (Haliku) has just recently been there so you might PM him.

Scott's and Woodie's analysis of the seasons and mountains is the norm. Exceptions will happen in either season. We had terrible weather on Cotopaxi last month but on Cayambe the weather and mountain conditions were perfect. Also they had lousy weather in late June that kept people from climbing. Basically weather happens in either season.

I worried about going in the summer also but having been there and from what the locals told me I'd do it again. My trip report will give you more info. Cheers!

kommish

by kommish » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:35 pm

I am planning a trip some time in January, I know the weather is about the same year round, but what temps did you guys run into both in the city and on the mountains. Just trying to get an idea of what to expect. I am torn on which to bring, plastic double boots or use my single boot with a supergaiter. Single boot is the AKU Spider that I have worn down to 10F without the supergaiter.

cbcbd

by cbcbd » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:15 pm

Unless you have really cold feet I'd just take your singles.
I climbed Cayambe with a base layer and shell only. I climbed Chimborazo with just base layer and a fleece. It gets cold, but nothing numbing - but I run hot and sweat in doubles most of the time.

Return to South America