bifocal (non-Rx) sunglasses

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
MoapaPk

bifocal (non-Rx) sunglasses

by MoapaPk » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:29 am

I normally carry reading glasses, as there are times when I need help to read my camera, a map, or a GPS. I need 1.75 to 2 diopters worth of reading glasses. However, switching between sunglasses and readers is a royal pain.

There are quite a few models of "bifocal" sunglasses out there, but the reviews are wildly varied, and I often can't find any indication of the strength of the magnifiers.

Can anyone recommend a bifocal (non-prescription) sunglasses/reading glasses combo? I want these for outdoor use, and am interested in light, strong, inexpensive shades, particularly those offering side shielding.

Thanks...

aglane

Re: bifocal (non-Rx) sunglasses

by aglane » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:49 am

Can't offer a recommendation for your specific request.

But if you do find what you want, be sure to take them off when descending steeps or downclimbing! the hold or ledge may not be where you think it is. Been there with prescription bifocals, did embarrassing things....

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:37 pm

aglane wrote:Can't offer a recommendation for your specific request.

But if you do find what you want, be sure to take them off when descending steeps or downclimbing! the hold or ledge may not be where you think it is. Been there with prescription bifocals, did embarrassing things....

Exactly what I worried about! But I do take off my sunglasses for most downclimbs, anyway.

no avatar
jthomas

by jthomas » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:24 pm

Maui Jim makes what you are looking for. They are called Maui Readers and come in various strengths, and I believe two different frame styles. Mine work great for driving and around town. However you may find that it is a problem when you look down at your feet, for example, and are looking through the reading portion.

Jim

NeverGoShort

by NeverGoShort » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:23 am

For about the same price as the Maui Jim's you could get a prescription lens for a true set of mountaineering/glacier glasses or active-sport glasses. Check out http://www.opticus.com. I just called them the other day, haven't tried them yet but very excellent reviews. I can send in my Julbo's and they will put my prescription (multifocal) into them....

Rob

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:17 am

Thanks all -- I know where I can get simple bifocal sunglasses for $15/pair; I know they may not be that great, but I lose sunglasses a lot.

However, I've found a thin pair of readers that actually stay in the low-middle of my visual field; I've found that if I wear them under solar shields, my feet and the long distance views are unimpeded.

This comes up because I just had the lenses of both eyes replaced (cataract in one, clear lens in other). I had substantial astigmatism, so multi-focal lenses were not an option. I've since been on two rather intense scrambles, and felt I would have benefited from readers in only one place -- a dark, steep gully. The problem is worse in low light... but for those circumstances I won't be wearing sunglasses. However, I've yet to go anywhere that involved lots of GPS or map reading, as I knew the 2 routes well.

I do have to test what happens on snow.

CBakwin

by CBakwin » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:07 pm

I have similiar problems, it's a pain always fumbling with different sets of glasses. Hope you find a better solution than I (wearing the two pairs to read maps, then constantly pulling off the readers.....) I have a nice set of the bifocal sunglasses for fishing, where seeing my feet is not so critical as climbing. without these, I couldn't even tie a fly on. Good Luck!

Return to Gear