Black Diamond I tent or Integral Desings MK 1 XL?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
LithiumMetalman

Black Diamond I tent or Integral Desings MK 1 XL?

by LithiumMetalman » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:12 am

Hi,

I'm in the market for an alpine tent for big wall, light mountaineering, and snowshoe trips.

I'm interested in the BD I-Tent and ID MK I XL.

Interested to know of users opinions of:

-Weatherproofness
-Ability to handle sustained slushiness / rain
-Handling of wind
-Anyone used either for big wall or narrow ledges?
-Condensation
-User experiences, taunts, complaints and praises?

Not too worried about space, since my sfo and I are about 5'8 120-135 lbs

We originally looked at the BD firstlight, but heard mixed reviews about the shedding of prolonged slushiness (convince me other wise!), and durability issues.

Any other recommendations? (Would like to keep the tent light, doesn't have to be ultralight, but has to have good "breathability", tough, easy to pitch and relatively light)

Cheers and thanx!

dskoon

by dskoon » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:56 am

From what I know(little :? )many use the Firstlight(though it's small), and are happy with it. Depends on the conditions you're using it in, as it goes with other tents, especially single-walled. Can't comment on the other tents you mentioned, though they're good as well.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:43 pm

I own an Integral Designs MK1 Lite and have used the Bibler I Tent. They are both great tents and do exactly what they were designed to do.

no avatar
bdynkin

by bdynkin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:41 pm

I have ID MK3 which is the same as MK 1XL, just slightly larger. My tent has light floor which seems pretty heavy duty and a second door which is great for cross-ventilation and added convenience. I also have an optional vestibule which is a brilliant design - large, pitches very tight and close to the ground.

Don't know if I like the main door deisgn - I had a zipper leak once in a heavy rain. Maybe it was just strange circumstances/rain direction.

I don't know if 2nd door and lighter floor options are available in Bibler.

CClaude

by CClaude » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:17 pm

I have an I-tent, and have used it in very constrained spaces. Love the tent. Lightweight durable and does exactly what it was designed to do. (though I do have a hole in it from rockfall now).

I'd expect the Intergal Design tent to be very similar since they are basically the same design (I think different fabric)

Snowy

Alpine single wall

by Snowy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:23 pm

Both of the options you're looking at there are great. I'd also seriously consider the Rab Summit Superlite. http://www.prolitegear.com/rab-summit-superlite-bivi.html
It's listed as bivy because it is very low profile, but has enough room for two alpinists. The biggest benefit is the awesome breathability of Event.[/code]

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:48 pm

The firstlight is more fragile (thinner fabric and skinnier poles), but I use it for light mountaineering and snow-camping. It sheds snow and light rain quite well, though you do have to seam-seal it yourself.

Then again, I also have an EV2 if I'm really worried about conditions. I'm pretty much a fair-weather mountaineer these days though.

I'm not gonna try to convince you otherwise, because I know who else you will have to convince ;)

albanberg

by albanberg » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:51 pm

I'm also looking for a tent. I've checked out the ones already mentioned plus these:

Stephenson:
http://www.warmlite.com/start.htm

Marmot:
http://marmot.com/fall_2009/equipment/t ... lpinist_2p

The Stephenson is very interesting since it is super light. No vestibule though, which I wonder if I really need. This tent is also really big, even the new shorter version is big compared to the tents you guys are looking at and it's much lighter.

We have a Bibler I tent with the vestibule, but it's heavy compared to the Stephenson. I could get carbon poles to drop the weight 1/2 lb. but that is not very much.

Opinions?

asmrz

by asmrz » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:54 pm

I presently own Bibler I-tent and the Firstlight. In the past I also had the Integral Designs MK1 XL (left it in Nepal for a Nepalese friend).

The Firstlight is really a 3 season tent. It is very light, thin, and much better than two bivi sacks. The fabric is thin and requires some care. The tent leaked on me quite a bit (along the sealed seams, might need a second coat) in a late August's heavy downpour in the Sierra

The main difference between Bibler and Integral Designs (beside fabrics) is that you can get second door for the Integral Designs MK1. I do not think you can get it for the Bibler. I found the second door very usefull in snowy conditions, you don't have to try to figure out from what direction the wind will blow later at night. The price might be a bit different too.

no avatar
Franky

by Franky » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:05 pm

That RAB tent looks sweet, I've always liked the look of rab gear, never bought any though.

CClaude

by CClaude » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:25 pm

asmrz wrote:I presently own Bibler I-tent and the Firstlight. In the past I also had the Integral Designs MK1 XL (left it in Nepal for a Nepalese friend).

The Firstlight is really a 3 season tent. It is very light, thin, and much better than two bivi sacks. The fabric is thin and requires some care. The tent leaked on me quite a bit (along the sealed seams, might need a second coat) in a late August's heavy downpour in the Sierra

The main difference between Bibler and Integral Designs (beside fabrics) is that you can get second door for the Integral Designs MK1. I do not think you can get it for the Bibler. I found the second door very usefull in snowy conditions, you don't have to try to figure out from what direction the wind will blow later at night. The price might be a bit different too.

The Bibler I tent with 2 doors is the Eldorado (which technically is what I have).

no avatar
bdynkin

by bdynkin » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:49 pm

CClaude wrote:
asmrz wrote:The Bibler I tent with 2 doors is the Eldorado (which technically is what I have).

So your Bibler Eldorado has 2 doors? I wonder why spec says 1 door...

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:15 pm

bdynkin wrote:
CClaude wrote:
asmrz wrote:The Bibler I tent with 2 doors is the Eldorado (which technically is what I have).

The I tent and Eldorado are actually two different tents. The Eldorado is slightly larger and can be ordered with a second door (or used to be able to be ordered with a second door).

CClaude

by CClaude » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:16 pm

ExcitibleBoy wrote:
bdynkin wrote:
CClaude wrote:

The I tent and Eldorado are actually two different tents. The Eldorado is slightly larger and can be ordered with a second door (or used to be able to be ordered with a second door).

The Eldorado is slightly larger (I think its 4-6" longer (haven't looked at the spec lately))

LithiumMetalman

Rab

by LithiumMetalman » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:52 pm

thanx for the quick replies!

wow the Rab Summit Superlite Bivy adds to the comp, decisions decisions! (maybe price might convince me...)

Eldorado has the option of 2 doors and the I- tent doesn't?

Epic vs Todd-tex (I have an ID Salathe Bivy, phenomenal!). haven't tried Epic materials out yet...how doees the material compare to Todd-tex?

Next

Return to Gear